A Survival Guide To Dating A Trump Supporter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I recently came across a survey where 37 percent of people said they would rather date a convicted felon than a Trump supporter. 60 percent of people answered that they would rather be single for four years than date a Trump lover. 33 percent said they would rather be single forever than date someone on the Trump Train.  

While I find these results hilarious, I also find them a little bit ridiculous. I have been dating a Trump supporter for almost four years.  If I can do it, you can too.

Here is my survival guide to dating a Donald Trump supporter:

1. Never watch a political debate with him.

2. Ban him from wearing his “Make America Great Again” shirt on dates.

3. Try not to laugh when he says that Trump is going to win the election.

4. Purchase a pair of earplugs for when he starts talking about “Crooked Hillary.”

5. When at a family dinner, never let him sit close to your Trump-loving uncle.

6. Tell him it costs money to register to vote.

7. If that fails, tell him election day is Nov. 28.

8. When he calls you a “nasty woman,” call him a “bad hombre.”

9. Kiss him for long periods of time to prevent him from opening his mouth.

10. Never try to hide texts from him unless you want him to open a full-on FBI investigation.

11. Never say the word “email” near him. 

12. Avoid the pantsuit section while shopping together.

13. Stick to neutral TV channels to avoid political ads that may cause arguments.

14. Recommended channels: Animal Planet, Nick Jr., Local Programming.

15. When he starts saying “Build the Wall,” build a soundproof wall around him.

16. Send him videos of Trump saying terrible things in hope that he will come to his senses.

17. When he responds with a dumb argument, screenshot it and send it to your friends so they can roast him.

18. Remember that you liked this boy before he started liking Trump.

19. Recall that he is a softie and loves pugs.

20. Realize that you are happy together, regardless of your political views.

The moral point of my survival guide is to express that dating a Trump supporter is not the end of the world. In fact, I would have to argue that it’s much better than dating a convicted felon, or being single for four years, or being single forever. In all seriousness, this presidential election has undoubtedly brought out the worst in everyone. Most people don’t feel comfortable sharing their opinions for fear of being misjudged, and with election day just hours away, tensions are at their highest. In this hostile environment, the worst thing we can do is let politics affect our personal relationships. At the end of the day, a political belief is just a political belief. 

Please enjoy this peaceful photo of us not fighting about politics.

Rachel is a freshman at Penn State majoring in Advertising/Public Relations in the College of Communications. She is new to Her Campus and all of the other things PSU has to offer. She hopes to get involved with Club Croquet, THON, and CommAgency. Rachel loves writing, drawing, and cracking jokes. Some people know her from her Vine account, Messing With Rich, where she messes with her dad and films his reactions. Rachel is known to have a tendency to get carried away while talking about her five cats. She loves her cats more than she loves herself. Follow her on Instagram/Twitter where you can find pictures of her kitties and such: Rachel_Anton2
Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope