Sorry Trump, Birth Control is My BFF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Let’s just put this out there: my ovaries are my ovaries and no one should tell me what I can do with them.

Unfortunately, President Trump (it’s still hard for me to call him that) is trying to roll back the mandate on birth control. That means he’s rolling back the requirement that allows for employers to include birth control as part of their employee’s health insurance plan.

I’m only 19 – I don’t have a full-time job. I don’t have my own health insurance plan, so you might be wondering why this affects me.

Back in the 1950s, if you were a woman it was almost unheard of to be on birth control. If it isn’t enough to see members of the Klu Klux Klan marching on T.V. to think that we’re moving backwards instead of forward, then maybe Trump’s mandate is.

As a liberated and proud feminist, I can say that birth control may be the best thing that has happened to the female race; well, right behind the invention of the sticky bra, that is. If I want to be on birth control, that doesn’t give anyone – including Dear Ol’ Donny and his band of Lynyrd Skynyrd groupies he calls Congress – the right to criticize my decision.

It baffles me that men think that they have any say in what goes on in a woman’s body; especially when most of these men refuse to wear a condom and expect no chance of getting their partner pregnant.

Taking birth control is a personal choice; something that should be discussed with your gynecologist and a trustworthy female guardian (if you’re younger in age).

I’m lucky that I have a mother who believes that I have the right to take birth control. Whether I actually take it or not is beside the point, but most of my friends are not sexually active but they still take birth control to regulate their periods.

So to you, President Trump, I say this: if you want to experience what it’s like to be bloated, have unbearable cramps, cry for no reason and bleed for seven days in a row – by all means go ahead. But before you take away the right to our medication, think about how you’d react if Hillary Clinton was president and decided to take away the right to your Viagra.

#MakeAmericaFairAgain

Credit: 1

Brittany Krugel is a student at Penn State. She is majoring in broadcast journalism in the College of Communications. She is a member of the Phi Mu Sorority at Penn State. She one day hopes to work for CNN or ABC as a broadcast journalist. When she's not tweeting about mac& cheese and Hillary Clinton, she enjoys netflix binges, listening to Kanye West, and going to Penn State Football games.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.