Wellness

Songs That Give You That Perfect Winter Nostalgia Feeling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Driving around your hometown while on winter break from college comes with lots of mixed feelings and memories. Since the sun sets at around five o’clock these days, it really provides a prime opportunity to relive our happy, sad, embarrassing, painful and of course, nostalgic memories. So, here is my list of songs that allow you to reminisce on your pre-college life.

“Possibility” By lykke li

While my 11-year-old self fell in love with the movies in “The Twilight Saga,” I was simultaneously falling in love with the movies’ soundtracks. I seriously adore this song and the scene in “New Moon” that goes along with it. If you ever feel like roleplaying Bella in “New Moon,” this is the song to do it. This song is perfect for reminiscing on the old times, as Bella shows us firsthand in the film.

“Never be me” by miley cyrus

Choosing simply one song off of Miley’s amazing and life-changing sixth studio album, “Plastic Hearts” feels seriously sacrilege, but it had to be done. This song is reminiscent of a very common phase teenagers go through, that of trying to be someone you’re simply not. Thankfully, most come to realize that one must be true to themselves, no matter how much one wishes not to be.

This song is perfect for screaming at the top of your lungs with your windows rolled down while driving down residential streets. Seriously, give it a try.

“’tis the damn season” by taylor swift

I fell head over heels in love with this song from the very first listen. Even if you don’t have a “’tis the damn season” fling waiting for you in your hometown, this song is still a perfect one for imagining the different possibilities your life could have taken if you never went away to school.

“Male fantasy” by billie eilish

This song truly encapsulates what it’s like to struggle with moving on and growing from your adolescent years. Alas, it’s something we all must do. Billie Eilish’s “Male Fantasy” provides listeners with support to know that they’re not struggling alone and the bittersweet feeling of growing up is universal.

“Gotta go my own way” by vanessa hudgens, zac efron, disney

Before you judge, give me a second to explain.

“Gotta Go My Own Way” from Disney Channels, “High School Musical 2” is the moving-on anthem we all need in our lives. When one moves away to college, it almost feels like breaking up with the life you’ve lived (much like Gabriella breaking up with Troy). So, don’t be ashamed to queue up this song in the car, and have a good cry.

“Back to december” by taylor swift

Ever since the release of this album, this song has been an all-time winter favorite for me. Obviously, the month in the song has a lot to do with it. For me, this song represents regret at a choice made. However, I listen to this song from the perspective of a teenager, who doesn’t realize all the possibilities out there. So, when driving around your hometown this holiday season, crying to this bittersweet song should be high on your to-do list.

Happy listening, and don’t forget your tissues!

Chelsea Nakhleh is a sophomore at Penn State University studying digital print journalism.