This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

While caught in the midst of a pandemic for nearly a year, it’s easy to put dating on the back burner. However, whether you’re in a fresh relationship or you’ve been with your significant other for some time, going on dates is still a must. 

Though it may be hard, there are still some ways to make it happen in creative ways. 

With some personalization and preparation, here are six quarantine-friendly date ideas that you can try out for yourself. Considering that not everyone is fortunate enough to be in lockdown with their partner, some of these ideas also translate to a virtual world.

Have a Fancy Dinner Night-In

Recently, I said to my girlfriend, “wow, every time I see you I’m in sweats and my hair is messy.” 

Of course she told me I was beautiful and my hair looked great, but it made me think: why not have a fancy dinner night? We could both dress up, either order takeout or cook together, and set the table with a candlelight. 

Likewise, this is also possible over video chat if you are unable to see your partner in person. You could even order food for each other if you are unable to be together for the occasion, and consider surprising them with some of their favorite foods.

Camping Inside

I’m not a big fan of camping, but indoor-camping is a different story. Clear up some space in your living room, put up a tent, and make it cozy with some blankets and pillows. If you don’t have a tent, you could always build a fort inside.

Make some s’mores in the oven and play your favorite games. You could even face the tent towards the TV and watch a movie.

Game Night on Zoom

If you cannot see your partner, this is an easy date idea where you can incorporate some online games you each like. You can play anything from “Guess Who” to “Cards Against Humanity;” there are many online options to find. “Codenames” is a game I’ve recently played online and I love it – you can also buy it as a card game. 

You could even include another couple or some friends if you want to make it a double-date. 

Make it your own. It’s a great way to spend time with others — not just your SO — while social distancing.

Cooking Something New Together

Whether you’re together or not, picking something new to cook. It can be either comical if you burn your food or rewarding if you do it right. Consider choosing a new recipe that challenges you and your partner.

You could video chat if you have to cook separately, making it into a little competition as to whose meal turned out better.

A Movie Night In

This idea is probably the most exhausted, but here’s an easy way you can take movie night to the next level. 

Each of you can gather each other’s favorite snacks and surprise each other with what you pick out. Pair the snacks with something that reminds you of them — or something they’d enjoy. For example, you can get a small stuffed animal, a decoration or a mug; if you shop at the dollar store there are many options. 

This shows how much you know your partner, and it’s a sweet way to let them know you pay attention to the little things. 

Likewise, if you cannot be in the same proximity as your date, install Google Chrome and add the extension ‘Teleparty.” It’s formerly known as Netflix Party, and it creates a link where you can each watch a movie at the same time.

Stargazing

Stargazing is all-around romantic — weather depending, of course. Bring some pillows and blankets, some snacks, and maybe even a candle or two. This kind of date would make my heart melt. 

With businesses closing and COVID cases rising, living life is still important — not just existing. Dating does not need to be on the back burner, even though social distancing is still vital. 

Personalize these ideas based on your situation with your partner, or even your friends. Socialize safely, but still remember to make time for the people you love.

Alyssa is a Senior at Penn State University studying Psychology with a focus on life science. Following graduation, she plans to attend graduate school to pursue a career in counseling for adolescents. In her free time, Alyssa enjoys making a Spotify playlist for every occasion, binging thrillers on Netflix, and spending time with her kitten, Penny.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.