Sisters On The Runway Steals The Show And Brings Awareness To Domestic Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

A group of lovely ladies (and a few gentlemen) took to the stage in Heritage Hall on Wednesday night to strut their stuff for an extremely deserving cause.

Sisters on the Runway Penn State’s Second Annual Benefit Fashion Show showcased clothing from State College-based outfitters all while bringing awareness to domestic violence and the amazing work of the Centre County Women’s Resource Center. Sisters on the Runway is a student organization that works to promote awareness and prevention of domestic violence.

The styles shown on the runway ranged from the perfect tailgate apparel to your solution for the best formal dress ever. It’s safe to say we’d love to add them all to our closets (not to mention, we had huge hair envy).

While the clothes were incredible (and the puppy might have made us squeal), it was the passion for bringing awareness to the issue of domestic violence that really stole the show.

Anne Ard, the Executive Director of the Centre County Women’s Resource Center, kicked off the show by reminding those in attendance exactly what they were there for.

“We’ve (the Centre County Women’s Resource Center) served over 1,500 men and women who are victims of sexual assault… half of them are Penn State Students.”

In addition to a powerful display of domestic violence statistics put on by all of the models, Alex Couch took to the stage to share her courageous story of how she was personally able to overcome domestic violence thanks to the help of CCWRC.

“I never thought I would one day label myself as a statistic… I found it easier to give into him (her abuser) than to put up a fight,” Couch said.

As she told her story, she emphasized that by getting out of the situation, she was able to “come to know what real love looks like,” while on her way to, “a one-way journey up, past a life with my abuser and onto a better one.”

Thanks to the continuous efforts of Sisters on the Runway Penn State, the organization has been able to raise over $3,000 for the Centre County Women’s Resource Center since October.

Every fifteen seconds, a woman is abused. Thanks to the work done by SOTR Penn State and all of its other chapters, this statistic may soon be a thing of the past.

If you or anyone you know is dealing with cases of domestic violence, please call the Centre County Women’s Resource Center 24-hour hotline at 814-234-5050. If you are out of the State College area, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.