Sisters On The Runway President Layla Taremi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

October is National Domestic Violence Awareness month, and the best person to talk to about this cause is the President of the Penn State chapter of Sisters On The Runway, an organization that raises awareness for victims of domestic violence. 

HC: When was the Penn State chapter of SOTR founded, and why? 

LT: After watching SOTR:UMass Division’s Spring Fashion Show in 2011, I was inspired to start a division of my own. At this time I was only a sophomore in high school, but I knew I needed to start it in my community. In 2012, I started the SOTR: Cambridge Rindge and Latin (CRLS) Division. After falling in love with raising awareness and money for victims of domestic violence, I knew I could not stop after high school. When I got to Penn State, I met my best friend Lauren Shearer. I convinced her to start the organization with me, and together we have stood side by side fighting against domestic violence. SOTR: Penn State Division was first founded in 2014. That year, we hosted a Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event in the fall, where women and men walked for a mile together in heels to spread wariness. We then hosted our First Annual SOTR Fashion Benefit Show.

HC: How is SOTR connected with the Centre County Women’s Resource Center? 

LT: SOTR raises awareness for victims of domestic violence. As an organization, our specific goal is to raise as much money for the CCWRC as possible in one year. At the end of every year, following the last fundraiser (usually the fashion show), we donate all of our money directly to the shelter, and start from scratch again the following year.

HC: What does SOTR hope to accomplish for Domestic Violence Awareness Week?

LT: We hope to spread awareness with our events such as Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, and the upcoming “clothespinning” event. With crowds of men and women walking on the sidewalks of State College on a Sunday afternoon wearing heels, the people around are interested and begin to watch. Many students hold up signs with facts about domestic violence, which informs the community about things they may not know. 

HC: What is the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event, and how was it started? 

LT: Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is the International Men’s March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault & Gender Violence. We decided this event would be fantastic to spread awareness at Penn State for domestic violence, so Sisters on the Runway teamed up with Alpha Kappa Lambda in Fall 2014 to host our very first Walk a Mile in Her Shoes. In 2015, we partnered with AKL, as well as Phi Gamma Nu and Phi Chi Theta, both Penn State Business Fraternities. This year, we are partnering with Alpha Kappa Lambda, Delta Upsilon, and the Interfraternity Council (IFC). There will be snacks and beverages, and guest speakers, including a representative from the CCWRC. There will also be a raffle, with gifts such as designer handbags, downtown store giftcards, and more. 

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes will take place this Sunday from 1-3 in State College, and we encourage every collegiette to attend and show their support for this amazing cause! 

Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope