She’s The First PSU Founder, Jaclyn McKay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name:
Jaclyn McKay
Major: Graphic Design
Hometown: Washingtonville, New York
Year: Senior

Meet Jaclyn McKay, the founder of Penn State’s campus chapter of She’s The First. It is a national non-profit organization that helps girls in developing countries get an education, and was recently featured on USA Today College. Although McKay is often busy with her demanding major and other campus commitments, she makes sure to take the time to help other people as well. Keep reading to learn more about She’s The First and even how to get involved yourself!

HC: What exactly is She’s The First? Can you describe briefly what it is, what it does?

Jaclyn: She’s the First is a not-for-profit that raises money for girls’ education in the developing world, encouraging young women to be the first in their families to graduate.

HC: What is your role in She’s The First? What do you do or have you done specifically within it?

Jaclyn: I started a She’s the First chapter at Penn State, and we hold annual fundraisers to raise money for the cause.

HC: Why do you enjoy being involved in She’s The First?

Jaclyn: I feel that college students should be aware of She’s the First and the importance of girl’s education. It’s great to contribute to such a wonderful cause!

HC: How did you first get involved and where/how can other students do the same?

Jaclyn: I started the chapter last year, and we have about 10 members. All students are welcome to join! They can e-mail me at psujaclynmckay@gmail.com if they are interested in helping out with our upcoming fundraisers!

HC: Are you involved in anything else on campus? Is it sometimes hard to juggle all your commitments or not so much?

Jaclyn: Yes, I am very involved with my major (Graphic Design), and I also participate in THON and the Daily Collegian, so time management is key! 

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.