Senioritis Symptoms and How to Cure It for Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We all remember the deathly plague of senioritis that swept over us through our final year of high school, and now it’s back and stronger than ever before. The last semester of college can be extremely thrilling as we prepare to receive our degree and take off on the next journey in life, but with these feelings of excitement also comes the temptation to slow down right in front of the finish line.

Here are a few likely signs that you’ve caught another case of senioritis as well as the helpful remedies to get rid of it for good.

Peak Procrastination

All college students are guilty of procrastination, and at some point and by senior year, you will have truly perfected the skill. (Which you might consider to be a good or bad thing, depending on the context, but more often than not, it isn’t good!) I’m as guilty of this as the next person, and often find myself submitting assignments right before the midnight deadline, which is not the best idea because I end up turning in work that is less than my best. One way to best handle this is to take advantage of the weekend to get a head start on any upcoming assignments. While the temperature rises, and tempts you to daylong or hit up the bar during your free time, it’s not worth the pressure of cramming last minute to finish an assignment that you could have already completed beforehand.

Skipping Class

It’s 7 a.m and your alarm clock blares, interrupting that beautiful dreamlike state with the harsh reality of yet, another morning of classes. You hover your hand over snooze, as temptation compels you to mute the ruckus for just a few more minutes of sleep. But, then, as time would have it, five minutes turn into 10…then 15 to 20 as you continuously press snooze until you realize that class starts in a couple of minutes, and you’re still in under the covers in your PJs.

With only a couple of weeks until graduation, it is incredibly too easy to neglect your class schedule to stay in bed, but attendance matters, and it can negatively impact your grade if you’re not showing up. So, don’t let temptation convince you to hit that snooze button. You’ve only got a couple of more weeks left, and you won’t have to sit in a classroom ever again! (Unless, of course you decide to go to grad school, or become a teacher! Best of luck to you!)

Back to Back Boozing

As an almost college graduate, you have probably gotten pretty used to the nighttime scene at your University. You know which premium deals to find at which bar during the week, and can probably be found at the precise locations when those nights rolls around. Because spring semester of senior year is typically when students take “easy” course to fulfill any leftover major requirements, you might be tempted to believe that you can substitute a night of homework for another trip to the bar. But, this simply isn’t true. Drinking almost every night can be damaging to both your health and your grades, so be sure to limit your time going out. If you happen to be free on several nights of the week, take some time for yourself to watch a movie or read a book instead of downing back shots of booze. You’ll appreciate your decision a whole lot more in the morning.

Bryanna Walley is a senior at Penn State University majoring in print journalism with a minor in Spanish. She has always had a passion for storytelling and enjoys creative writing in her free time. Additional interests of hers include: browsing over the latest fashion trends, binge watching 90's shows on netflix, and finding new books to add to her collection.  
Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team.