Reese Witherspoon’s New Series Is Not Getting Enough Attention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Within the past few months, Netflix released a new series entitled “Shine On”. The show follows Reece Witherspoon as she interviews various strong, empowered women. Witherspoon speaks to and interviews women like Dolly Parton, Kacey Musgraves, Ava Duvernay, and even women outside of the entertainment industry. The conversations surround topics like poverty, gaining a sense of self, and being a woman in a male-dominated industry and everything it entails.

In each episode, Witherspoon travels to a different place to meet her guests. Her adventures range from going to Venice Beach to talk to P!nk, to visiting West Point Military Academy to speak with Simone Askew, the first African-American woman to earn the role of First Captain at the academy. Witherspoon aims to educate her audience on the difficulties that successful women face, as well as their mighty achievements.

The show’s focus on diversity is done really well. There is a real call to support women, including, and especially, women of differing races, sexuality, and gender identities. Representation truly matters, and Witherspoon uses her own privilege as a white cisgender woman to highlight other women across the board. Her attitude is very encouraging and is something we must all reflect upon and do, as well. 

Each episode of “Shine On” lasts only about 25 minutes, making it an easy, albeit powerful, view that is definitely worth watching.

Margaret is currently a junior at Penn State University, studying Public Relations in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer for Her Campus at Penn State, a member of the The Lawrence G. Foster Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America, and is involved with THON. In her free time, Margaret enjoys making playlists, reading, and watching the same romantic comedies over and over again. You can find her on Instagram at @mnpfeifle.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.