This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a new semester begins, it is clear zoom is going to become a recurring thing in our college lives and even everyday life. We are in spring semester and still using this platform as a way to take our classes and participate in any school activities. 

It has almost been a full year since COVID-19 officially became a problem in the United States. Last year — at this time — we were living a vastly different life. As Spring semester approaches, I am sure many students like myself long for a new reality and have hope that life might become somewhat normal. 

This semester is definitely going to be different. Penn State is opening later than expected. This transition is difficult for those who live on campus and who need in-person classes to keep a steady learning environment. It has even become a speculation that campus may not reopen at all like other colleges have decided to do as well. This is a hard reality for a lot of students here on campus. 

I cannot decide how I feel about the virtual world we have transitioned into. I enjoy having much more freedom with time management and being able to get more involved since there is no need for travel. I also feel like this has changed the way of technology for the better. Students have become more oriented to technology and most likely learned things in the past year that will assist them in the future. 

COVID is still a prominent issue in day to day life that we have to face. Social distancing and masks are still aspects that we are unable to avoid. There is still hope for change, which I think will bring others into much higher spirits. The vaccine will definitely alter people’s lives. 

We will be able to see some times of change in our life based on this finding. 

Mental health is very important to consider when I think of the new semester. This constant pressure to be inside and away from the people you love could be a huge burden on the mental health of a lot of people. It is  important to stay positive and find something in this semester that makes you happy. 

Find a passion and find a place that will bring you joy. We will all get through this together. 

I am a Junior at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. I love fashion, food, and anything beauty-related which can be found a common trend throughout my articles.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.