Chipotle
Chipotle
Karen Ding / Spoon
Wellness > Health

Ranking “Healthy” Restaurants in State College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Being a college student means that you are balancing time devoted to school and your mental and physical health. Such a big factor of happiness can be incorporating better nutrition in your life. And let’s be honest: Downtown State College does not have the best places to get a healthy meal. Here are my honest rankings on restaurants that seem to be health-focused. 

Roots: 9/10

Roots gives a broad variety of healthy options to choose from. Personally, I don’t choose to eat at Roots too much, as if I am willing to pay for food. I usually want to splurge on something that is more on the unhealthy side. However, I feel like it would be beneficial because I only hear good things about their quality. 

Playa Bowls: 7/10

Playa Bowls is deceivingly good, but there are some things to consider if you are constantly getting it. Dairy products that go into Playa products can sometimes cause stomach distress, and they don’t offer dairy substitution through their online ordering. Additionally, it is one of the only options to get a heavy fruit-concentrated meal. With this, it is extremely expensive, which can be detrimental to a college student’s budget. 

Chipotle: 9.5/10

This ranking is an extremely unpopular opinion. Personally, I think Chipotle is the best deal for having a large quantity of good food. Chipotle also has great vegetarian options, if you would eventually try to incorporate “meatless mondays” into your routine.

The wait at Chipotle can be annoying, but if you go around lunch, you can get a healthy midday meal in a timely fashion. Also, if you use their app they give great rewards. 

Fiddlehead: 6/10

Fiddlehead is a good option, but I have heard mixed reviews on it. I feel like if you were to get a salad, there are plenty of options at other restaurants that have more reliable quality. Additionally, it is not as central to downtown, so it may be a bit of a walk. 

Tadashi: 10/10

Tadashi is an amazing Japanese restaurant. There are a plethora of great, authentic international cuisine spots all around downtown. Tadashi is a bit pricey but great for a date or girl’s night. Its food highlights the importance of portion sizes and shareable plates to get variety in your everyday diet. 

#1 Alternative: Go to the Farmer’s Market

The Farmer’s Market downtown has great vendors who specialize in pure produce. Additionally, there are vendors who make food or coffee that feels like a home-cooked meal. The Farmer’s Market is also important because it supports small businesses in the Centre County area. It is easy to help yourself and others by stopping at the Farmer’s Market.

Here are some healthy opportunities if you are looking to watch what you eat. They have the variety for whatever you are craving, and hopefully, they can help you balance if you are not feeling like cooking for yourself.

Health Policy and Administration student at Pennsylvania State University.