Culture > News

Quotes From The First Presidential Debate That Actually Made Me Laugh Out Loud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

“That was a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck. That was the worst debate I have ever seen, in fact it wasn’t even a debate. It was a disgrace.” 

Thank you, Jake Tapper, for saying what we were all thinking and phrasing it beautifully. I’ve never been at a loss of words when it came to political debates, but this past one shockingly changed that. It was a mix of chaos, shouts, threatened masculinity, and giggling. 

“Will you shut up, man?” – Joe Biden 

I want to emphasize that Joe Biden told the President to shut up on live TV at the presidential debate. Was it a bit unprofessional? Yes. But was it iconic? Also yes. I was extremely taken back by this comment at first, however, I don’t think anyone could be interrupted that many times without cracking. 

“By the way, I brought back Big Ten football. It was me and I’m very happy to do it and the people of Ohio are very proud of me.” – Donald Trump 

I don’t think it is necessarily fair to say that Donald Trump single handedly brought back Big Ten football. The school representatives and coaches put a lot of thought into the reversal of the initial decision to postpone the season. With that being said, I can’t be mad about this quote. I am welcoming Big Ten football with open arms.    

“It’s hard to get any words in with this clown.” – Joe Biden 

Biden, your age is showing! The only person who says a phrase like this has to be over the age of 60. I just couldn’t help my laughter. Again, the name calling is a tad unprofessional but, at this point in the debate, I would have said something much worse. 

“Bad things happen in Philadelphia.”  –  Donald Trump 

The quote itself is not what made me laugh. I watched the debate surrounded by people who claim to live “right outside of Philly” (whatever that means) and their reactions were jaw dropping. Not too long after Trump said this, my Twitter feed was solid gold. The memes that came from this quote are borderline ridiculous in the best way possible. 

DISCLAIMER: For the majority of college students, this is the first election that we are old enough to vote in. That being said, this may be the first time that some people are watching a presidential debate. I want to clarify that this was not by any means normal and this is not how presidential candidates should behave; I mean that for both candidates!

This article may have highlighted the humorous parts of the debate but I do think it is crucial for you to do your research, watch the next debates, make decisions for yourself, and vote in this election. 

Penn State 2022
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.