The PSU Girl’s Guide To Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

My dear Penn State ladies,       

It’s about that time of year once again. You know, cue red roses and heart-shaped chocolate boxes… Valentine’s Day is upon us all along the relationship spectrum.  Whether you’re in the midst of a new fling, deep in a committed relationship or newly single and looking to spend the holiday with your girlfriends, this guide will ensure you make the most out of Feb. 14 in Happy Valley.

Gifts

For the new fling: Surprise Insomnia Cookies delivery

Your romance is just getting started and it may be a bit tricky determining exactly where you stand or how much you should shell out for the big day. It’s important not to end up putting more effort into it than your date does. Besides, at this stage in your relationship, it’s your man’s job to prove to you how much you really mean to him. Sending him a surprise, prepaid box of gooey Insomnia cookies is the perfect way of showing him you care without going too over-the-top.

For the boyfriend of a few months or less: Concert tickets

For a boyfriend of a few months or less, concert tickets are a great gift idea. Based on how much you would like to spend, choose your seats and spend between $40-$100.  The Bryce Jordan Center is hosting incredible acts for the remainder of the semester including Bon Jovi, Tiësto and Lady Gaga. Find out your guy’s favorite band and pick up an extra ticket for yourself for a date that works for both of you.  All that’s left to do is look forward to yet another fantastic night with your man.

For the long-yerm relationship: New shades

You’ve been dating for a while and your ready to splurge a little more than usual for your boyfriend. A new pair of sunglasses would make the quintessential gift for your guy, especially with Spring Break coming up just a few short weeks after.  Nobody can ever own too many pairs of sunglasses and it’s a present he’ll be sure to get so much use out of.  Not sure what will look good on your guy without him trying it on? Ray Ban’s website features a virtual mirror where you can upload a picture of your boyfriend and test out what types of frames fit his face best.

How to Spend the Day

Tussey Mountain

After a morning full of stressful classes, how about hitting the nearby slopes over at Tussey Mountain? At an affordable price, you can snowboard, ski or snow tube with your guy or a group of friends.  It’s a short ride away and a fun way to pass the time before your dinner date.

2000 Degrees

Located right on College Ave., 2000 Degrees is a small art studio where you can purchase a piece of pottery and paint it however you like. It’s a change of pace and a fabulous place to chat with your friends about your date plans. Perhaps you may want to paint something to gift to your man. If you think he’ll be into it, take him there on a date and exchange art pieces for a special keepsake.

The Carnegie Inn and Spa

What better way to unwind than an afternoon at the spa? Pamper yourself with a fresh new mani-pedi to have you looking your best for your date or indulge yourself in a relaxing massage. You may even want to bring your man along for a romantic couples massage.

Eisenhower Auditorium

The musical comedy, Addams Family, is coming to Penn State at 7:30pm on  Feb. 14 right on our very own campus. If your man is the theater-type, he would love if you took him to the show. Just make sure the time does not conflict with your dinner reservations.

Dinner Ideas

American Ale House

The American Ale House is a hidden gem located in the heart of Toftrees. Just a short drive away, the restaurant feels like you are in a whole other world from Downtown State College. The Ale House is equipped with a bar, live music and a beautiful ambiance for the perfect romantic date. The food isn’t too, too pricy and is absolutely delicious. (P.S… it’s a great place to go when your parents come and visit, too)

Home

Nothing spells romance more than a home-cooked meal for your man.  It doesn’t get any more intimate than delicious food, a fabulous wine pairing (21+) and a candlelit setting.  Make the night extra special by serving your meal picnic-style with comfy floor pillows.   

Bryce Jordan Center

Okay, it may not be the most fancy, but at 9 p.m. the Nittany Lions will be taking on Iowa at the Bryce Jordan Center. For a laid-back night filled with hot dogs and nachos, take your guy to the game to cheer on the team you both love. Go State!

Love, Rachel

Photo Credit

Rachel Elman is currently a senior at Penn State University majoring in public relations and minoring in international studies. She recently returned from a semester abroad studying at the University of Sydney, Australia. Rachel plans to become a publicist in the entertainment industry. Follow her journey at @RachelElman on Twitter and Instagram!
Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.