PRSSA President: Kristin DeRosa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Running one of the largest chapters of a national organization sounds like a tough job, but senior Kristin DeRosa makes it appear the opposite.

As president of the Public Relations Student Society of America, PRSSA, at Penn State, she takes on a multitude of tasks, engages with several students on campus and still makes time for sleep (sometimes). Although she also tackles responsibilities with several other organizations on campus, DeRosa is making the effort to enjoy the time she has left before graduation this spring. 

One way she plans on doing that is taking part in PRSSA’s spring fashion show on Thursday, March 5 at the Gingerbread Man, which she will be modeling in. Read more below about how DeRosa’s overall experience with PRSSA and how it has benefitted her in many ways.

HC: What is PRSSA all about and why is it so great to get involved in?

Kristin: The Public Relations Student Society of America is a pre-professional organization for public relations students who are looking to gain industry experience and network with professionals and other communications students. We have one of the largest chapters here at Penn State and really give our members countless opportunities to get hands on experience, build their resumes and portfolios and sharpen their PR skills. PRSSA helps students merge into confident young professionals. 

I’ve loved every minute of being the president of PRSSA for many reasons. I get to mentor our younger PR students, meet other PRSSA members nationwide and get to network with PR professionals at conferences and national events. 

HC: How has your involvement in PRRSA and being president helped you in other aspects of your life?

Kristin: My experience in PRSSA has prepared me for the job search by not only giving me industry connections but also providing me with things to talk about on interviews such as leadership, management and campaign skills. Luckily, PRSSA has also provided me with my closest friends. I’m getting ready to graduate with my best friends and I can’t wait to keep up with their careers and collaborate with them like we do in this organization.

HC: What has it been like organizing this spring fashion show? Has it been challenging? 

Kristin: I think I got the easy job just for being president. I’ll be modeling along with a few other executive board members so all I need to do is show up for fittings and walk the runway next Thursday night. Our event planning committee has been doing a great job working out all the details for the event.

HC: What has been your most exciting or most rewarding experience while working in PRSSA?

Kristin: I take a lot of pride going to PRSSA national events and sharing the accomplishments of our Penn State Chapter with other schools. One of the best parts of those events is getting to tell everyone about the hard work our members are putting in and how much our chapter has grown.

HC:Is it hard to juggle your schoolwork, other activities and PRSSA duties? 

Kristin: I try to stay as organized as possible and I try to remember to sleep occasionally. Between THON, PRSSA, and Happy Valley Communications, our student-run PR firm, I’ve been lucky to have been involved with some great organizations

HC: Do you have a trick for handling it all?

Kristin: By now, it’s just a balancing act and I’m trying to soak in as much as possible before graduation.