Primanti Bros., State College: Hit or Miss?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For the seniors at Penn State, we pretty much became accustomed to the same bars on the same nights of every week. So everyone was pretty hyped, yet somewhat skeptical, about the opening of the new Primanti Bros. in downtown State College. The new bar and restaurant is located adjacent to Chipotle, in place of the old G-man, and is open to people under the age of 21 until 10 p.m.

Because of all the talk, my roommates and I decided we needed to give this place a try. By the end of our first experience, we were already planning on coming back the next night for happy hour. Here are a few reasons why you should check the place out for yourselves:

Happy Hour (aka drinks are half-off regular price) is from 10 p.m.-12 a.m. Mon. thru Sat. and from 1 p.m.-3 p.m. on Sundays. With more beers on tap than I could count, it’s safe to say this place has options. They also have this specialty drink called the Drunk Duck. I have only good things to say about this amazing blue-colored mix of who-knows-what. It’s probably the best pitcher-type drink I’ve tried thus far in State College. It’s not artificial tasting and not too sugary. Plus, you get a mini rubber duck in your drink that you can keep – that’s a win.

The food is delicious and not too pricey. The long-awaited Primanti Bros. sandwiches don’t disappoint either and are piled high for hungry stomachs. They have approximately 18 different sandwiches to choose from that all sound mouth-watering. In addition to sandwiches, their menu includes burgers, flatbread pizzas, appetizers and their “Soon-To-Be-Famous” wings. They also serve “Late Night” with everything from pizza to nachos and chili-cheese fries.

The atmosphere is something that seems to be unmatched in State College. It’s the first real sports bar we have where we can go to watch whatever games may be on the multiple TVs located every which way throughout the bar. You can hang out at a high-top table or one of the cozy booths that line both sides of the walls. The tables surround a massive bar located smack dab in the middle that is staffed with awesome people who are looking not only to help, but even to add to your experience. The walls make the place have a more vintage feel for a brand new spot, with both Pittsburgh and Penn State memorabilia covering every inch of space (there’s even a few token Philadelphia items for those from the city of Brotherly Love). Their music playlist is on point, including everything from throwbacks to current number-one hits. You may even experience the Penn State game day chant with the infamous cowbell. Even the women’s bathrooms are a sight as they are lined with pictures of gorgeous, famous men – that’s something to talk about. We’ve heard the men’s room is the same, but with women – so there’s something for everyone in your party!

Primanti Bros. has definitely already made a name for itself at Penn State. 

Chellsy Costello is currently a senior at Penn State University majoring in Public Relations/Advertising and minoring in Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management. In her free time, she loves finding new artists to listen to, watching football, trying new recipes in the kitchen, and finding time to hit the gym. Her current and past experiences include Wenner Media, Press Here Publicity, The Nittany Lion Club, Varsity 'S' Club, Valley Magazine, and Happy Valley Communications. She hopes to land her dream job in New York City or another major city after graduation and someday hopes to travel as much as she can.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.