President of Penn State Student Red Cross Club Eryn Krivansky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name: Eryn Krivansky

Year: Senior

Major: International Politics (International Relations Concentration)

Minors: Global Security and Women’s Studies

HC: How would you describe the American Red Cross to those who aren’t very familiar with the goals of the national organization, and where does Penn State’s Student Red Cross Club (SRCC) come in?

EK: The mission of the American Red Cross is to prevent and relieve suffering all over the world. In order to achieve this, volunteers, donors, and employees work together in the five lines of service: Disaster Relief, Service to the Armed Forces, Health and Safety Services, Blood Services, and International Services. The Penn State Student Red Cross Club is probably best known for our involvement in Blood Services, however, in the last few years, we have expanded by getting numerous student volunteers trained in various Health and Safety courses and Disaster Services. We are also beginning to branch out into International Services through International Humanitarian Law programs and Military Services by partnering with other student organizations and veterans’ organizations to support the troops. 

HC: How did you first get involved with SRCC?

EK: I started volunteering at blood drives my freshman year at Penn State because I had organized a few at my high school. At one drive, I asked the student in charge how I could get more involved and she told me about the club, where I could volunteer and receive a variety of other trainings (like CPR, first aid, AED, etc.). I went to my first SRCC meeting, and it turned out that I already knew the president, webmaster, and the THON exec chair! After that, I was roped in and given more responsibilities within the club and was encouraged to apply for a leadership role the following year. And I won’t lie, I figured that having an affiliation with a service organization as large as the Red Cross couldn’t hurt.

HC: What is your favorite part of being president of SRCC?

EK: As the president of the Student Red Cross Club, I have the unique privilege to be involved in every single aspect of the club. There are not many organizations that allow students to be so deeply involved in so many different kinds of service, and I am lucky enough to help our club provide that to the students of Penn State.

HC: What are your goals as president this year?

EK: My biggest goal for the fall semester was to beat Michigan State in our 22nd annual Blood Donor Challenge, and we did! So I am thrilled about that! But I still have lots of plans for the club in the spring including growing our membership base even more as well as reaching out to other student organizations and getting them more involved. Right now, we encourage student groups to participate in sponsoring blood drives, but I would like to expand this by getting orgs trained in multiple life-saving skills. My ultimate goal would be to get a few members of every single club and student group on campus trained in first aid, CPR and AED. These are skills that I firmly believe everyone should know, and I think could make our university a much safer place for everyone!

HC: What events or other developments are you excited for this year?

EK: I think that the spring semester is going to be great. We are involved in THON and have two amazing families, but in the months leading up to the big event, we have our THON Blood Drive campaigns. Presenting donors will be able to credit their donation to an organization of their choosing, which will receive $2 on behalf of the American Red Cross. It’s a great way to make some extra money for your org! We will also be hosting a 5K in March that everyone is welcome to participate in. The proceeds will be given back to our local ARC Chapter, and will help the Centre County community. We are also excited to get members more involved in organizing these events and using their ideas to come up with even more service activities. 

HC: What are the benefits of volunteering or joining SRCC?

EK: This year, we chose to restructure the club, and I think that it benefits our members a lot more. The Student Red Cross Club doesn’t just do blood (which I know is a common misconception around campus). We have different committees that focus members’ interests and efforts in a variety of ways. For example, we have, as you might guess, a blood drive committee, which focuses on filling volunteer roles at each drive and finding student sponsor organizations that want to give back to the community. However, we also have a public relations committee and a fundraising committee, both of which need the expertise of business-minded individuals who are gifted in graphic design and art, as well as being social media savvy. Our Chapter Services Committee also offers a great way for education and other child-development majors to volunteer one-on-one with younger students and other community members outside of the university. There really is something for everyone!

HC: What are your future plans, and has your involvement with the Red Cross shaped them in any way? 

EK: Actually, unlike a lot of the other leaders and members in the club, I am not a science person, and I have zero intentions of going to med school! However, I plan to attend law school within the next few years and eventually I want to work in humanitarian law. The Red Cross has helped me learn about the opportunities that are available for working in humanitarian law, which would combine my passion for social justice and service. But my experiences with the Red Cross have also given me the opportunity to hone my leadership and communication skills. I feel like I will be able to use everything that I have learned from my time with the Red Cross no matter where life takes me.

HC: What do you want Penn State students to know about giving blood

EK: I know that there are a lot of misconceptions about giving blood and about the Red Cross in general. I think that it is important to recognize that giving one pint of blood, which takes less than 10 minutes for the actual donation, has the potential to save 3 lives. Just like that. It’s that easy. I know that it is scary, but if you prepare your body correctly (that means eating extra iron-rich foods combined with vitamin C for about 1-2 weeks before your donation, eat a meal BEFORE you donate, and drink LOTS of water in the days leading up) there is really nothing to fear! At some point in your life, you will know someone who needs blood, and without constant donations from people like you, there won’t be any! If you are able to give, please do. 

Photo credit: Shannon Deuel

Shannon Deuel is a sophomore at the Pennsylvania State University pursuing a double major in advirtising/public relations and integrative arts. Most of her time is spent using her creative eye to solve general visual and promotional problems implimented in her internships and student organizations. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Shannon is a public relations committee member of Penn State's Student Red Cross Club and the Lawrence G. Foster Chapter of PRSSA. She is also a virtual intern for College Fashionista and a photo intern for VUONG PR in State College. Her main areas of focus include photography, graphic design, and writing, to name a few, and she hopes to someday work as a creative director at a large advertising firm or in-house organization she can pour her passion into! Shannon plans on leaving the country for the first time next year to study abroad in Germany as well!
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.