This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Netflix finally released the trailer for the second season of the worldwide phenomenon “Bridgerton.” After the success of the first season, it was no surprise that the show would be renewed by Netflix. The first season followed Daphne Bridgerton through her first season out in the ton. She enters into a fake courtship with the Duke of Hastings in an effort to gain favor among the other eligible men. Season two will instead follow the story of the eldest son, Anthony Bridgerton, and his journey to find a wife.

In season two, Anthony will encounter Kate Sharma while he pursues a relationship with her younger sister Edwina. It is their immediate distaste for one another that sparks the enemies to lovers trope that will guide the storyline.

Simone Ashley will play the beloved character Kate Sharma, who is actually named Kate Sheffield in the books. You may know Ashley from her role as Olivia on the Netflix series, “Sex Education.” Ashley’s casting as the leading lady continues the “Bridgerton” reputation for creating a diverse atmosphere on screen.

This shouldn’t be too surprising as the show’s developer is none other than Shonda Rhimes, who produced hit television shows like “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away With Murder.” Rhimes has displayed a desire for female-led series through her work and along the way has shown how people of color need to be included in these stories as well.

Season one of “Bridgerton” was praised for its diverse cast and placement of Black characters in powerful positions; however, it received some backlash as a period piece that doesn’t address race. Despite this, “Bridgerton” managed to show that Black characters can thrive in a fictional period drama without only playing slaves. In fact, “Bridgerton” was so successful that it became the biggest Netflix original television show release, up until “Squid Game” this past year.

In the new trailer for season two, we see the members of the ton still scrambling for gossip from Lady Whisledown, who we now know to be Penelope Featherington. A few words to describe the one minute trailer include family, sex and corgi. Yes, there will be a new character introduced — Newton, the corgi.

Newton is the Sharma family dog and will no doubt steal the show. Regardless, it appears that once again the Bridgerton family will stir up more drama as we see Eloise making her debut in society as well as the eldest boys fighting with swords. While there was not a lot of sex displayed in the trailer, we can only assume that since it’s “Bridgerton,” we won’t be disappointed.

Late in 2021, Netflix released a sneak peek of season two which encompassed a scene with Anthony and Kate at a party. The short clip managed to capture their flirty banter, while also illustrating Kate’s intellect and emphasizing her maturity. This is one of her most important traits as Anthony is stuck living a bachelor lifestyle and placing advancements on younger women who can’t quite match his wit. I for one am excited to see these two go head to head on the screen.

Although season two will not heavily focus on Daphne and the Duke, fans are in for a treat with Anthony and Kate’s story based on the book “The Viscount Who Loved Me” by Julia Quinn. It has already been confirmed that Rege-Jean Page will not return as the Duke of Hastings, but I am confident that Jonathon Bailey’s performance as Anthony Bridgerton will provide women with a new man to swoon over.

You can watch Bridgerton Season two on Netflix when it releases on March 25, 2022.

Junior, Film major and Women's Studies minor