This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As podcasts have been on the rise the past couple of years, I have found that almost everyone has a favorite podcast. Whether it is lifestyle, true crime, comedy or news related, people always have new podcasts to recommend. Our Her Campus team is very diverse with many interests, so it was so exciting to hear what everyone else likes to listen to. Here are some of our team members podcast recommendations. 

Beginning with lifestyle, some of the recommendations I received were “Mood” with Lauren Elizabeth, “Working Title” with Margot Lee and “Anything Goes” with Emma Chamberlain. Personally, I listen to all three of these and enjoy their similarities, despite being different people. These podcasts are very real and show the highs and lows of life and showing that everyone has highs and lows in life. 

Penn State sophomore, Kendall Rae, has started a podcast called “No Qualms Whatsoever.” Rae has one episode out so far where she talks about boyfriends and manifestation. We cannot wait to listen to her other episodes and support another student at Penn State.

listening to podcast
Photo by Juja Han from Unsplash

“You Can Sit With Us” is a podcast by the Try Guys and Ramble focusing on lifestyle and pop culture. The most recent episode is on Britney Spears and how being a famous female celebrity can affect one’s personal life. 

“The Ed Mylett Show” is a business and lifestyle podcast at the same time. Mylett interviews a large assortment of people focusing on emotional stability and business success. Similarly, The Journal, posted by the Wall Street Journal, is a podcast focusing on business and economics. If you are someone like me who doesn’t really understand how finances truly work, this podcast is a great start to learn the basics. I started listening to this when one of our team members recommended it at a meeting, and I cannot stop listening because I feel like I am learning so much about the ins and outs of economics and business in the U.S. 

There is a cult surrounding the true crime podcast fanbase. So many people are addicted, and I now see why. Previously, I would stick to lifestyle and news based podcasts, but while working out or running errands, listening to true crime is so motivating. Our team recommends “Crime Junkie,” “The Mile High Club,” “That’s Why We drink” and finally “The Sesh,” for people looking to get into true crime podcasts. “The Mile High” podcast focuses on conspiracy theories while “Crime Junkie” is of real life crimes. Some of these crimes have been solved and some have not yet been.

“Overheard” is a podcast by The National Geographic that discusses facts of nature. Their episodes talk with scientists, photographers and explorers who travel the world to discuss different places and science innovations. They have previously discussed scuba diving in a Pyramid, The Frozen Zoo and War Photography. If you are interested in hearing untold stories of modern and historic sites, this podcast is definitely worth the listen.

I am a junior at Penn State from Annapolis, Maryland. I am involved in greek life and THON.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.