This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

13 months ago, I never would have predicted searching the internet for “cute face masks.” I do believe now that face masks have the potential to become a trend in fashion, especially since they are mandatory, as well as just beneficial to stay safe during these scary times. 

Businesses, small and large, are definitely excelling at this demand. If you’re looking for places to buy affordable and adorable masks, check out these sites and stores.

Baublebar

Baublebar is a popular brand which primarily sells trendy pieces of jewelry. However, they have begun selling facemasks in sets of two for $12 + the price of shipping and handling. 

Their masks have a universal fit and adjustable ear straps to make them as comfortable as possible. The patterns are also especially cute, and the website now offers 9 different sets of masks.

Kitsch

Kitsch is an online website that sells beauty accessories, and it just added cute face masks to their expansive inventory. Kitsch was one of the first brands I saw with advertisements featuring face masks. 

However, it took me a while to actually purchase from them since I was hesitant about its quality. I 10/10 recommend these though! They are adorable and extremely comfortable. 

The patterns are relatively neutral, so they go well with any outfit. They do not contain a wire by the nose. but if you have glasses, they will not fog them up! For only $12 for a set of three masks, definitely consider Kitsch.

Depop

Depop is essentially an online “thrift” store. They feature the kindest sellers who can provide anything from secondhand goods to handmade items, such as embroidered shirts or — now — face masks. 

Depop is where I have purchased the majority of my face masks, partially because the prices are very economical and shipping is around $3 for most sellers. There are also such a variety of patterns — just search, and I am sure it will come up with what you are looking for and some you did not know you needed. Some of my favorite sellers are @ieatsparkles and @areebaqz.

Vera Bradley

Vera Bradley is known for their colorful patterns, and they are also one of the brands now selling face masks. They are $8 each and come in a variety of solid and patterned prints perfect for the fall season. 

They have pleated and fitted masks to choose from. Both feature adjustable ear straps and provide a filter insert, which I am sure we can all appreciate!

Make your own!

If you’d like to take up this fun activity, I would definitely encourage you to make your own face masks. The Center for Disease Control has instructions on how to make safe and effective face masks at home. The website has instructions for sewn and not sewn masks, making it accessible and available for many people. 

JOANN Fabric stores also have great instructions here. If you do learn to make your own, I would recommend donating to organizations that distribute masks to those in need and more vulnerable populations. 

During these unprecedented times, we must all help each other and think more selflessly in order to keep not only our loved ones safe, but everyone safe. You can donate to most local hospitals in your area or you can look here for a whole list of organizations looking for donations.

I am currently a Junior at Penn State studying Biobehavioral Health. Besides school and writing for Her Campus, I love all kinds of music and am currently learning to play the ukulele! In my free time, I love to play with my dogs as well as watch my favorite shows, New Girl and Glee.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.