This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We don’t talk enough about signature scents. I genuinely feel it is one of the biggest milestones in womanhood to find your signature scent. The perfume that when anyone who even remotely knows you, and smells it waft by, thinks of your name. 

Don’t even get me started on the absolute most fortifying (and criminally underrated) experience either; when you walk by and someone you don’t know just needs to know what scent you are wearing. There’s really something beautiful to it and I have truly taken too much time recently to try and find my own signature scent. 

I have tried really anything from the luxurious Daisy by Marc Jacobs to the most classic scents at Bath and Body Works. Nothing really stuck though, until recently when my friend smelled my particular scent right now. This perfume is by Sol de Janeiro with their famous Brazilian Bum Bum cream. He asked if it was vanilla, which it does have notes of, and being the astrologically inclined individual he happens to be, said that it makes sense since I am a Taurus. That’s when it hit me. Maybe the stars can tell us even more than I thought. 

If you’re looking for your particular scent too and need some guidance, you’ll find some below per family of signs.

If you’re an Earth Sign (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn)… think warm notes of vanilla, rose and coconut.

Coconuts and Coconut with sugar
Photo by Tijana Drndarski from Pexels

Earth signs are the most grounded signs. They bring others warmth and comfort whenever they are near. Although these signs vary in their specific nature, they are all generally very stable and calm. They’re indulgent and realistic, finding closeness with material possessions. They are dependable above all else and a true treasure to have as a friend. 

If you’re a Fire Sign (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius)… think spicy like cinnamon, tobacco, and amber.

Cinnamon sticks
Photo by Tetiana Bykovets from Unsplash

Fire signs are bold, just like the flames they are named after. They enter life with passion unmatched by many. Fire signs are confident and strong, and intense in this case scent-wise. Despite their powerful nature, they are also very caring people to the ones they love. Like their signature scents, they are definitely not muted but something that reminds you of time by the fireplace with your loved ones during cold winters.

If you’re a Water Sign (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces)… think refreshing like cucumber, ginger, and cognac.

Cucumber Slice
Alex Frank / Spoon

Probably my favorite set of signs, these individuals are first and foremost in touch with their emotions, and indubitably so. They can relax and be in touch with their inner selves, such as the calmness of summer’s salt air. They are beings filled with love, but moody as well, so don’t get on their bad side. Like their appreciation for a wild imagination, their preferred scents range from those that waft beautifully through the wind to wake you up.

If you’re an Air Sign (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius)… think floral scents like lavender, lily, and orchid.

assortment of flowers
Min An

The Air signs embody spring and new beginnings, like the flowers that bloom even after the worst winters. They are intellectual people, not afraid to stimulate conversations and really make you think. They are charming and friendly people who value freedom above all. After all, wildflowers bloom wherever they want, even when the odds are against them.

Hopefully this helps you find your signature scent!

I am currently a Junior at Penn State studying Biobehavioral Health. Besides school and writing for Her Campus, I love all kinds of music and am currently learning to play the ukulele! In my free time, I love to play with my dogs as well as watch my favorite shows, New Girl and Glee.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.