THON 2023 Total Reveal
THON 2023 Total Reveal
Photo by Jacob Santos

Penn State THON Through the Eyes of a Committee Member

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

One of the biggest reasons I came to Penn State was THON. I knew what an amazing and influential organization it is, so when applications to be on committees came out back in September, I knew I had to join one.

THON is a student-run philanthropy dedicated to enhancing the lives of children and families impacted by childhood cancer. The money raised goes towards helping families with medical bills as well as funding research for a cure.

After I applied and was interviewed, I ended up getting extremely lucky and was placed on an Entertainment Committee (ENT) with two amazing captains and an incredible committee.

We had two-hour meetings each week where we learned more about THON, Four Diamonds, the families, and what we would be doing to contribute during THON Weekend. I looked forward to these meetings each week, not only because we were learning about such an amazing organization, but also because we were able to bond as a committee.

The night before THON, the ENT committees came together to set up the stage. It was an indescribable feeling to be able to see the Bryce Jordan Center transformed into such a lively and exciting environment.

You can try to imagine what THON will be like, but until you’re in the BJC and you see the stands full of supportive people and the floor filled with dancers and committee members (CMs), you cannot possibly grasp what it feels like to be there.

Even if you weren’t in the BJC, you could live stream the whole weekend! Texts from my family and friends about what had just happened on stage always brought a smile to my face.

As an ENT CM, we had a ton of fun jobs to do while on shift during THON Weekend, such as going into the lower bowl crowds and playing games with people and giving out prizes. We also got the chance to man the cameras by the stage, so whenever an organization was panned to or zoomed in on, that was us!

My favorite part may have been setting up the Silent Disco for the dancers in the South Annex. It was so much fun setting up and watching the dancers jam out to old Disney tunes and Pitbull at weird times throughout the day, like at 4 a.m., for example.

Being on the floor was an experience like none other. We were able to interact with dancers, other committee members, and of course, the kids and their families. Even doing the line dance on the floor with everyone was so amazing.

I was there for the moment the dancers came in through the “human tunnel,” the moment the dancers stood, and the moment they were finally able to sit down — and witnessing that was truly amazing.

I think the most amazing part of THON was the “Final Four.” Complete with line dances going back to 2018, an 80s music performance that got the “BJC boomin’,” and the total reveal, the final four hours of THON were unforgettable. But what was really special was the incredibly emotional “Family Hour.” This is what reminds us why we THON each year.

With my committee, we spent our final four at the top of the upper bowl together. Even though we were far away from the stage and the floor, we were together. And honestly, the view of the entire BJC from where we stood was incomparable.

In total, I think I was at the BJC for around 36 hours, including my committee shifts, breaks in which I stayed at the BJC, and load-in/load-out. Now because of this, one thing I wish I knew about THON Weekend is how much my feet would ache — so please make sure you invest in some solid, supportive sneakers.

The total amount raised for THON 2023, Foster The Magic, was $15,006,132.46! When the total was announced, we screamed in shock as a committee. We had thought that we’d surpass last year’s record-breaking total, but not by this much!

After THON came to a close, we took down the stage and lights, and with that, all of the memories we made during THON Weekend.

I have an inexpressible amount of gratitude for everyone who participated in THON and made the weekend so special and memorable. It was pure magic.

If you join one club or organization here at Penn State, I highly recommend joining a THON committee! You will not regret it!

THON 2023 Entertainment Committee
Original photo by Hannah Workman
Hannah Workman is currently a sophomore at Penn State University studying psychology and journalism. When she's not writing or being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Hannah loves listening to music, reading, and spending too much money on concerts and Starbucks!