sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Major: Criminology

Year: Junior

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown: Branchburg, NJ

HC: What’s your favorite corny pick-up line?

PB: Hi, my name is Patrick, wanna grab dinner? Works every time!

HC: What’s your idea of a perfect date?

PB: The perfect date to me would be spending an awesome day in New York City. There’s so much to do in New York and we could spend the whole day exploring the city together! (Cue the “awwwww”).

HC: What do you look for in a girl?

PB: I definitely look for ambition and energy. I’m a pretty outgoing guy, and I look for a girl that has a lot of drive and a great sense humor. I’m definitely going for the “power couple” look right now.

HC: We hear you play the snare drum in the Blue Band! How long have you been playing the drums?

PB: I’ve been drumming for the past 8 years, and I really love getting to be a part of the Blue Band.

HC: What has your experience been like being apart of one of the best marching bands in the country?

PB: There’s honestly nothing like being in the Blue Band. It’s a great organization filled with great students and staff, and it’s a blast to get to throw down for the greatest fans in college football. I wouldn’t give it up for the world!

HC: Richard Bundy has been directing the PSU Blue Band for years. We all congratulate him on his retirement but are sad to see him go. What’s the best advice Richard Bundy has ever given you or the band?

PB: Dr. Bundy is a great man and has done incredible things for the Blue Band and for this university. My favorite piece of advice that he gave to us in the Blue Band is when he tells us to “carpe the heck out of the diem.” He is always encouraging us to seize every opportunity and to make the most of our time here at Penn State. I will definitely miss seeing him around, but I am glad I was able to learn from him while I was in the Blue Band.

HC: What are some things you like to do in your free time?

PB:  When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends, catch a good movie or just relax in my man cave. I also have a twin sister that goes to Penn State, and we meet up for lunch to hang out and catch up every once in a while.

HC: What’s your dream job?

PB: My goal is to begin working in either State or Federal Law Enforcement after I graduate from Penn State next spring. There are so many different and exciting career paths in law enforcement! I would really enjoy being a part of an investigative agency.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

PB: Hopefully I will be working in law enforcement and will have completed a masters or law degree. I also hope to be living in the Virginia/Washington DC area where I will begin to start a family. 

HC: What’s your favorite dessert?

PB: My favorite dessert is definitely ice cream. There’s a great ice cream shop down the road from where I live in NJ. There’s nothing like driving out there after dinner in the summer for a cold treat!

HC: You’re also apart of PSU Mock Trial. Could you explain how a typical mock trial would work?

PB: Mock trial essentially consists of two teams (three witnesses and three attorneys on each team) that battle it out in the courtroom over a fake, or “mock,” court case. The two teams compete in a real courtroom and in front of real judges. It’s a lot of fun, and it’s a great opportunity to experience what it would be like to be a trial lawyer.

HC: What drew you to Mock Trial in the first place?

PB: I am very interested in pursuing a law degree and I thought that getting involved with the mock trial program here would be a great way to see what it’s like to be a lawyer. If you are interested in going to law school/working in law enforcement, I would definitely check out the Penn State Mock Trial team!

HC: What are some things you’ve learned in PSU Mock Trial that you’ve applied to your daily life?

PB: Being a part of the Penn State Mock Trial program has given me a lot of great experience on how to effectively investigate a case and how to efficiently form an argument. It’s also given me the opportunity to meet a lot of talented students, staff and law enforcement professionals. All of this experience has really helped me out in my criminology coursework, and I look forward to staying involved with the Penn State Mock Trial team again this spring. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.