Outside Looking In: I Am Not a Starbucks Lover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s no secret that college can be grueling, and what better way to perk yourself up than a good cup of coffee? For me, coffee is absolutely essential, no matter what day it is. But, I am not a fan of Starbucks. So to anyone who has ever waited around the HUB, downtown or anywhere for that matter for a cup of Starbucks coffee, this is for you. I don’t drink Starbucks. I can’t wrap my head around the fad that is this overpriced, excessively sugary coffee. And believe me, I have logical reasons.

1. Why would I wait thirty minutes just for coffee?

My coffee order isn’t fancy. I prefer a medium hazelnut coffee with a shot of espresso. I have yet to meet a barista that can’t make this order. It’s simple and only uses three key ingredients. Why on earth would I wait behind twenty other people whose orders – let’s face it – are far more complicated than need be? There isn’t a time I don’t see a line at the HUB Starbucks, and it’s usually backed up halfway to the stairs. That’s ridiculous. Did you know there is another place to order coffee right upstairs?

2. I can only speak English.

I hate it when I say medium and someone corrects me to grande. No, my coffee cup is a medium. At Au Bon Pain, it’s a medium. At Redifer, it’s a medium. At home, it’s a medium. You get the point. My coffee size is not Italian. It’s proudly American, just like myself.

3. I don’t think it’s “the best” coffee.

What you consider to be the best may not be the same as what I consider the best. Although “everyone” may be drinking Starbucks, don’t assume I am. To me, good coffee is anything warm and rich. I don’t pick favorites. I will try a coffee shop anywhere, just not Starbucks.

4. I’m not a fan of its associations.

For some reason, Starbucks has been labeled as basic or the drink of white girls. I can’t count how many times someone has made a basic white girl joke out of a Starbucks order. I mean, can you blame them? Have you heard the names of some of these drinks? You don’t even have to say Pumpkin Spice Latte anymore, just PSL. The drink even has its own hashtag. Don’t believe me? Go check your Twitter or Instagram, and enjoy that ten minute distraction. I will not conform, I can’t do it.

I don’t judge those who drink Starbucks, I just personally choose not to. Will I go on a date there? Yes. Will the guy have trouble ordering? Of course. So for anyone who has ever stood in line at Starbucks and wondered what people are whispering as they pass by, I guarantee you it’s one of the above reasons. But, that’s just an outsider looking in. 

Photo credit: 1

Hey there! I'm Danielle a junior studying Broadcast Journalism, Theatre, and English up at Penn State University! I'm absolutely passionate about performing, theatre, writing, and all things food! My ideal pet is a hedgehog and my dream date is a night at a lazer tag arena! I like to consider myself spunky and original. If I had to relate to a Disney character its definitely Kevin (the bird) from Up!
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.