This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s pretty common for a lot of people to tune into the Oscars, the Academy Award show that airs in the beginning of the calendar year. By a lot of people, I mean over 25 million!!! But with this year’s host drama, there was a decent amount of suspicion as to whether or not the 91st year of the award show would be as successful as it was in the past.

Some of the past hosts include: Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Patrick Harris and Chris Rock. Kevin Hart was the projected 2019 host, but then stepped down amidst Twitter drama.

How did the show start? Well, three of Hollywood’s funniest women kicked off the night. Amy Poehler, Tina Fey and Maya Rudolph made a few jokes regarding the Academy Awards not having a host, and then the show went on.

Each presenter(s) had a little comedic blurb to read before announcing the nominees and winner, which took up the time a host would be filling in with similar humor. There were also a few performances that were well, AMAZING.

Yes, I’m talking about Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

This dynamic duo SHOOK the entire audience with their passion, not only for their “best original song” winner, “Shallow, but also for each other. I mean, they never took their eyes off one another! If this isn’t a match made in heaven, I don’t know what is.

The night was not just iconic from the A Star is Born performance, though!

Let’s talk about Rami Malek receiving the “best actor” award…TOTALLY DESERVING. Bohemian Rhapsody is one of a kind. No wonder they won four out of five nominated categories!

The funniest winner of the night? Olivia Colman, hands down. After receiving the “best actress” award, she was beyond shocked and could barely make a speech without laughing and crying. The happiness on her face was contagious. If you weren’t a fan of hers, you are now!

To end the night, Green Book won “best picture,” which came as a shock to some, since films like Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born were nominated in this category as well and all had been winning a number of awards throughout the night.

All in all, the Academy Awards show was a success, even without a host. It left many wondering if the tradition of a host will be overturned or not for years to come.    

Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team.