Coast of venezuela
Coast of venezuela
Maria Valery
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

To the country that saw me, my parents and my grandparents grow,

Even though we didn’t know each other for too long, I miss you. 

Not a day goes by when I don’t think about my life back home. I remember the days when I could go next door and see my maternal grandparents. Or, when I would go on weekend road trips to see my paternal ones. Or, the days when my whole family would come over and we would all watch a soccer match together and eat barbecue. 

I know the country you are right now is not the country I once loved. You are not the same country I left 10 years ago, and for this, I pray every night. I pray that you will go back to the way I remember you in my memories — a country that was once full of opportunities and prosperity; a country where families were together and happy, not separated and scattered all over the world; a country where conversations were done face-to-face and not over FaceTime calls; a country where friends who knew each other since elementary school dreamed of going to college together in the future. 

What went wrong? This is a question I ask myself almost every single day. The answer to this is simple: injustice. You were corrupted by a so-called socialism that destroyed you, both politically and economically. You were used and extorted by people who did not appreciate what you had to offer. Once the land of hope and aspirations, you became a place that people escaped from. 

That being said, I have hope for your future. I know that you are strong. I know that you are more than capable of getting back on your feet. I am sure that one day, I will see you in your glory again.

Until then, I will keep you in my memories and always try my best in everything I do. Because I know that one day, you will need me — and I will be there for you. 

Sincerely,

Maria

I’m a current junior majoring in Journalism and French at Penn State. My dream is to work in publishing after college and go to law school to study corporate law. 
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.