This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

February— the month where all things are red and pink and love is in the air— for some of us at least. Unfortunately, the majority of us are stuck alone on Valentine’s Day. Nothing hurts more than being alone on a day that’s dedicated to love. 

Here are some messages for my single ladies this Valentine’s Day.

Don’t dwell on it. 

Speaking as someone who has been single pretty much her whole life — not for a lack of trying might I add — being alone, in general, is the worst. But nothing hits as hard as being alone on Valentine’s Day.  Yet, dwelling on it is not worth it.

Remember that you are your best companion.

I know, it’s hard. 

Walking around this day is always so sad. Seeing all these people walking alongside their loved ones and holding flowers and chocolate could be tough. The romantic movies playing all over the TV never help either.  

Seeing all the posts on social media is never easy too, I feel you. Speaking from experience, since I have never been with someone on this day, it is not fun scrolling through social media and seeing couples all over your feed.

Nonetheless, one day, you will have a date on Valentine’s Day. Even though you are currently alone and convincing yourself we are going to be alone forever, there is no reason for you to not find a way to enjoy this day by yourself.

You are not alone.

I am here to tell you that you are not alone. Maybe in your love life, but there are more people alone than together on Valentine’s day. 

Plus, you have all of your friends and family by your side. Love doesn’t have to be just in relationships, you can spend your Valentine’s day with your best friends or family.

Celebrate Love

Valentine’s Day isn’t  only about your love life. It’s about celebrating love, whether that is with your parents, friends, significant other, pet, etc. 

Relationships are temporary, but friends are forever. Being with them on Valentine’s Day will make your day so much better. Nothing beats hanging out with your favorite people. 

Have yourself a galentine’s day. That’s what I have been doing the past few years and I definitely recommend it. Gather your besties, get in comfy clothes, and have a day by yourselves. 

Have a spa day, movie night, binge watch your favorite TV shows, wine night, whatever you guys are feeling. I promise, you will feel so much love by being surrounded by your favorite people you won’t even remember that feeling of loneliness that was surrounding you earlier.

Enjoy being young and single while you can. You will miss these days

Don’t be sad about being single this Valentine’s Day. The past year was absolutely crazy and don’t beat yourself up because you are single. There are so many other things to be grateful for and just because you aren’t in a relationship, doesn’t mean you will be alone forever. Enjoy today and leave the rest for the days to come. 

Being single is not the end of the world. You are what’s most important and regardless of who you are with, you’ll always be your best companion.

Trust the process. If it’s meant to be, it will be.

Communications, Sophomore
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.