Wellness > Mental Health

Open Letter to the Girl Who Didn’t Get the Sorority She Wanted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Everyone that has gone through the recruitment process knows how hard it is. Especially the toll it takes on you emotionally. Getting dropped from a sorority is so hard; accepting the fact that the sorority didn’t want you is one tough pill to swallow. The worst part, however, is dealing with getting dropped from one of the ones you fell in love with.  

Throughout recruitment, you are trying to find and make connections as are the sororities on the other side. They want what’s best, they know if you fit in better than you do. However, everyone’s nightmare is getting a sorority that she didn’t feel a connection with on bid day. I know it was mine. 

Going into bid day, the nerves were high and everybody was shaking. It was probably the most stressful half hour waiting to open that envelope. If you opened the envelope and didn’t see the name of your top choice sorority and wanted to drop immediately, please take my advice and don’t drop – give it a shot, even if it’s only for a few days. 

I live by the idea that everything happens for a reason, and I truly believe that. Anyways, why would you want a sorority when they don’t want you back? I know it’s easier said than done, trust me. But, everything always works out in the end.

If you are unhappy on bid day, please do me a favor and don’t give up after bid day. Stick it out a little longer, see if you can find your people. Regardless of what sorority you are in, you aren’t going to like your entire pledge class. Even if you were in the one you wanted originally, I bet you wouldn’t love your entire PC. If you give the one that gave you a bid a real shot with an open mind, you will end up happy. 

They gave you a bid for a reason! 

Try to make friends and make the best out of the situation. I know it’s incredibly difficult, but it’s most definitely worth a shot. The process is hard and painful, I know. But, you have to trust the process and that everything works out the way it does for a reason. 

You made it this far in the process, do you really want to give up and drop now? You put so much time and energy into recruitment it isn’t worth it. You will find your place, I promise. 

Communications, Sophomore
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.