One Simple Act, One BIG Impact

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

(Photo: Raise Your Sleeve)

In two seconds you can send a text, change the TV channel or fire up your laptop – things we college students have all become quite accustomed to. Now imagine if every time you sent a text, your life was on the line.

According to the American Red Cross, this is reality for many. Today, someone in the U.S. needs blood every two seconds, which requires over 41,000 donations in a single day.

With that many donations, it’s easy to assume that a single blood donor won’t make much of a difference, but that’s where you’re wrong. In fact, a single donation has the potential to help save the lives of up to three people. Chances are you’ve heard this statistic before, but I guarantee you didn’t take the time to actually think what that means. Think of the three most important people in your life – maybe your parents and a sibling or your best friends. Now think about what life would be like without any of them. Brings things into perspective, right?

Before you brush off the analogy by arguing that you’ll never be put in such a situation, consider the people who are. The people who get a call that their spouse has just been in a deadly car accident and is saved solely by the generous donation of a woman miles away that you’ve never met. The people who sit by their best friends through daily chemotherapy treatments that depend on the blood of complete strangers to help fight cancer. The people who suffer, through no fault of their own, and need nothing more than a helping hand to bring their loved ones back to life.

If you’ve ever dreamed of being a superhero, now is your chance. A blood donation is free of charge, completely safe and takes less than 12 minutes to complete. It’s one of the easiest and hassle-free ways to make a positive impact in the lives of others. Though there are limitations that can prevent someone from donating, an estimated 28% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate and simply chooses not to.

If you are part of this 28%, I challenge you to think of one good reason as to why you haven’t. With the endless opportunities to donate both here in State College and across the country, there is truly no excuse to forgo giving blood at least once a year.

Make one small change to accommodate a yearly blood donation, make a huge difference in the life of stranger.

To get started, please see the list below of local blood drives being held throughout the month of March:

Monday, March 23rd:

Agriculture Administration Building from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Pasquerilla Spritiual Center from 10:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Tuesday, March 24th:

Applied Research Lab from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Wednesday, March 25th:

School of Law from 11 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Thursday, March 26th:

Keller Building from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Friday, March 27th:

Office of Physical Plant from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Tuesday, March 31st:

HUB Alumni Hall from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

As part of their “409” campaign in honor of our most beloved football coach, Joe Paterno, each drive in March will be sponsored by 409 Pizza and Wings.  Each person who donates will receive not only free pizza, but also a t-shirt to wear proudly in honor. Together, we can help collect 409 donations.

(Photo: Deviant Art)

For more information on donating blood and to see if you’re eligible, please visit http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.