Fun Fall Events Happening in State College This October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Being in college can make it feel like you have to leave behind all the traditions you do at home, whether it’s because you might not have access to the materials to do so or just don’t know what’s happening in town.

State College hosts a variety of community events and festivals that unite people. October is packed and has many opportunities for you to do fall activities. 

Here is a list, in chronological order, of what’s going on in town this month:

Pumpkin Festival – Oct. 6-7

The Pumpkin Festival will take place the first weekend in October at the arboretum. This event features a pumpkin giveaway, jack-o’-lantern contest, light-up displays and family activities. There are games, crafts and more.

This event runs from 6-9 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 6 and 3-9 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 7.

Haunted Lake Loop Hike – Oct. 7

Haunted Lake Loop Hike is on Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. at Black Moshannon State Park in Philipsburg. While it’s not right downtown, it is a fun and spooky activity that you could get a group of friends to attend.

The walks will start at 7 p.m. and run until 9 p.m., so you can go anytime. There will be a campfire on the beach and roasting marshmallows while you wait to go on the hike. 

Dracula at The State Theatre – Oct. 7-8

Nittany Ballet will be telling the story of Dracula. An opportunity for people who love ballet and exciting for those who have never been to one.

There is a showing at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 7 and 2 p.m. on Oct. 8. 

Fall Harvest Fest – Oct. 8

Fall Harvest Fest is a family-friendly event will run from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 8, and features raffles, food, games, free family pictures and more. The flyer featured on the webpage offers more details. 

Wasson Farm Fall Fest – Oct. 14

Wasson Farm Fall Fest runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and features hayrides to the pumpkin patch, wine tasting, homemade ice cream, homemade soups, apple cider slushies, barrel train rises and maple cotton candy.

Sip and Shop Spooktacular – Oct. 22

Sip and Shop Spooktacular will take place on Oct. 22 at noon in Bellefonte. This event takes place at Titan Hollow and will feature their famous cider cocktails and shopping from over 20 local vendors. Costumes are highly encouraged, and there will be trick or treating for kids of all ages. 

“The Witching Hour” – Oct. 26

“The Witching Hour” is a murder mystery dinner theatre comedy on Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. This ticketed event features an original murder mystery and will be fun for all involved.

Tickets must be purchased to attend, and you can opt for just the show or add dinner to the price of your ticket. 

Ghostly Gallop 5K & 1-mile Fun Run – OCT. 28

If you are looking for a fun run or a way to get active as it gets colder, get your friends together for the Ghostly Gallop 5K & 1-mile Fun Run on Oct. 28 at 9 a.m. You must register by Oct. 10 to receive a shirt. 

State College Halloween Parade – Oct. 29

Join the community for State College’s 75th Annual CRPR Halloween Costume Parade on Oct. 29 at 6:30 p.m. There will be a costume contest, cash prizes and candy treats.

You can do so many activities throughout October to get in the Halloween spirit or fall mood, and get involved in the community. So, grab your friends or go solo and enjoy these events!

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.