Wellness

New Releases From Women and Non-Binary Artists for Your Spring Semester Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you are anything like me you’re constantly looking for new music recommendations.

Music taste is one of my favorite topics of conversation, and there is nothing I love more than making playlists for people! So here is a list of new(ish) releases from women and non-binary artists that I think are well worth a listen and perfect for your spring 2023 playlist.

(I hope you love them as much as I do.)

samia – “honey”

Samia is easily one of my favorite artists, and her new album just came out! Hooray! My current favorite songs from it are “Charm You,” “Honey” and “Amelia.”

Eliza mclamb – “Salt cirlce”

I love Ms. Eliza, and I think that you should too! Her EP “Salt Circle” came out in December and it is really quite spectacular. My favorite song from it is definitely “Salt Circle” with “Playhouse” being a close second. Eliza McLamb’s music is gentle and eloquent and it’s impossible not to feel something while listening.

Leith ross – “Orlando”

Leith Ross never misses ever. Their lyrics are some of the most gut-wrenching works of poetry that I have ever heard and I cannot recommend their music enough! Orlando came out back in November, and if you haven’t listened to it by now you’re going to want to fix that.

Rachel chinouriri – “Fairytale”

Rachel Chinouriri’s voice is just angelic, and I will certainly listen to anything she sings. She put out “Fairytale” with Mac Wetha recently and it is a must-listen!

Boygenius – “the record”

Boygenius is an indie rock supergroup with members Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker, and their EP “the record” came out a few weeks ago. As an avid fan of all three of these singers, I was over the moon. It consists of three songs: Julien Baker leads “$20,” Phoebe Bridgers leads “Emily I’m Sorry,” and Lucy Dacus leads “True Blue.”

The full album will be out on March 31st!

Arlo Parks – “Weightless”

Arlo Parks is so talented. Her music mixes alternative/indie pop and contemporary R&B, and as a poet, she also incorporates her spoken word poetry into some of her other songs. Her new single “Weightless” came out in mid-January — go give it a listen!

gracie abrams – “where do we go now?”

Gracie Abrams released this single about a relationship that has run its course in mid-January! Her full debut album will be out on February 24th, and if you were lucky enough to snag tickets for Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, then you might bet to see her as an opening act! Jealous!

Gordi – “One Crowded hour”

I recently discovered Gordi, and her music is phenomenal. Her voice reminds me of Maro and her lyricism is just gorgeous. Her cover of “One Crowded Hour” by Augie March came out in December and I have been listening to it so much! I can’t recommend it enough.

Happy listening! I hope these wonderful artists find a place on your 2023 spring semester soundtrack.

Lucy Martin intends to graduate from Penn State University in 2025 with a BFA in Acting and a minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.