halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

My Ranking of All Six ‘Scream’ Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s spooky season, and what’s better to do than eat popcorn and watch horror movies? “Scream” is one of the most iconic horror franchises in film history.

This is my personal ranking of all six sensational movies.

6. “Scream 3”

“It’s your turn to scream, asshole.”

Sidney Prescott

The ending to the original “Scream” trilogy unfortunately comes in last place.

Compared to the first two movies, this felt soulless due to the writers recycling the same formula used previously. It also introduced way too many new characters.

I believe that out of all six films, this one had the worst Ghostface character.

5. “Scream 4”

“Do you like scary movies?”

Robbie Mercer

In my opinion, “Scream 4” is the true revival of the franchise. It made the killer threatening and violent again. Also, it had a meta way of introducing new rules.

I also enjoyed the Ghostface reveal because it wasn’t who I expected at all. Additionally, there were many surprising cameos in the movie which included appearances from Kristen Bell, Lucy Hale and Adam Brody.

4. “Scream 5”

“I’m Sidney Fucking Prescott. Of course I have a gun.”

Sidney Prescott

While most fans love this revival of the series, I personally think it falls a little flat. I believe the writers played with the idea of being meta too much, and that made the film feel like another cash cow.

However, I did enjoy the tribute to Wes Craven, honoring the achievements he made with writing the first four “Scream” movies.

Also, I have a soft spot for Dylan Minnette because he’s in one of my favorite bands, Wallows.

3. “Scream 2”

“Bitch, hang the phone up and star-69 his ass!”

Maureen Evans

I believe the sequel to “Scream” is a 50/50 for me. I enjoyed the first half of the movie immensely because of the similar formula they used in the first film.

However, one of my big issues is that the killer lacked a substantial reasoning and backstory. Along with that, the Ghostface reveal was more underwhelming than the first time around.

I would say this movie is for more of the comedy aspect than the scare factor.

2. “Scream 6”

“It’s not enough to just kill someone these days, you have to assassinate their character first.”

Ethan Landry

In my opinion, “Scream 6” takes the cake for the best modern adaptation of the franchise. There are new gory, terrifying death scenes and major character development for the main characters.

To add on, there was a complete setting shift that paved the way for a newer, better environment for the plot to work off.

Overall, there was more advanced technology for the film and that’s why I chose to place it in the second spot.

1. “Scream 1”

“There are certain RULES that one must abide by in order to successfully survive a horror movie.”

Randy Meeks

Finally, in the number one spot, we have the original “Scream,” which was released in 1996.

This movie is simply a cult classic that has the best quality, plot lines and comedic factor. There is also extremely impressive direction, cinematography and special effects.

Sequels rarely ever top the originals, and that is exactly the case in the “Scream” franchise. It’s iconic in the horror genre of the 1990s and will continue to stay that way for the rest of its existence.

In conclusion, the “Scream” franchise is one of the most iconic and historic productions of our time, and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

Allison is a first-year student studying Digital and Print Journalism with a minor in Women's Studies. When she isn't writing for Her Campus @ PSU, she's listening to ABBA, hanging out with friends, and watching sitcoms. On the weekends, she likes to go thrifting and try new restaurants downtown.