This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Every year we witness the ebb and flow of trends in fashion, style, makeup and more. Certain years, we look back after participating in these trends and wonder why they ever existed, or sometimes we hope that they never die. 

Many of the trends from the past few years are accredited to social media, especially TikTok. All of the trends that are my favorite from this past year come directly from social media and influencers promoting these trends. Some of these are actually not new, but circulated through time until it eventually re-assumed popularity. 

This is how some have tried to even predict what trends will be like, such as Emma Chamberlain. If you are interested, I encourage you to listen to her podcast, “Anything Goes,” to hear her predictions for 2023.

Whether you try to stick out fashion-wise, or like to lay back and go with the flow of trends, it is hard to deny the practicality and popularity of certain trends. Here is a list of some of my absolute favorite trends of 2022 that I hope will carry onto remaining trends this year. 

Slicked-back hairstyles

2022 was truly the rise of the slicked-back hairstyles. While the “clean girl aesthetic” in itself also rose in popularity this past year, one important element of this was the sleek, neat hairstyles that show off girl’s chunky gold earrings. 

It is true that as a former dancer, I love the idea of having nice neat ponytails and buns that are so stuck to my head, not even the harsh winter winds can budge a single hair. However, it is more the ease of the hairstyle that I, and I believe many can agree with, are so attracted to. 

My hair tends to start feeling greasy after one mere overnight, which I am sure many can attest to, is extremely frustrating. The slickback hairstyle saved not only me, but also my hair. Now, I simply can put my hair up and assume the persona of a “clean girl,” instead of damaging my hair by stripping it every single night. 

Flared yoga pants

Another trend, one that has re-surfaced from when many 20-year-olds were in middle school, is flared yoga pants. Not quite sweatpants, but just as comfortable and accepted as slightly fancier than leggings, flared yoga pants truly are one of my favorite trends. 

I have heard some slander over this trend, and somewhat rightfully so as you really can’t turn the corner of the block without seeing at least two people wearing these pants. However, like most trends, there is a reason for their popularity.

No one quite knows what ingredients go into the buttery-soft material that Lululemon cooks up in their factories, but it really is addicting. To top it off, I genuinely like the way they look, and they pair well with most tops, jackets and hoodies.

Minimalistic makeup

Along with the “clean-girl aesthetic” is the clean-girl makeup to go with it. The idea of minimalistic makeup has separated itself from the “natural” makeup trends that hit hard a few years ago. Instead of packing on makeup to try to look as much like you’re not wearing any as possible, the trend has evolved to simply just wearing less.

As someone who is fascinated by makeup but just doesn’t have the time or will power to learn about it, this trend is my dream. I love that the trend encompasses embracing your natural beauty, your differences, and accentuating tiny details to feel your best instead of changing your face completely. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good glamorous look as much as the next person, but as far as the everyday makeup styles go, I hope the minimalistic look sticks around for quite a while. 

Uggs

Another trend that was also cool in middle school — Uggs. Many people find these boots ugly, but as I walked around the Penn State campus in the freezing cold at the beginning of the semester, I was grateful for my warm and fluffy boots. 

This company has elevated their product to fit their consumer since we last saw them, and even started making other styles of boots without the bows and sequins (does anyone else remember the sequins?) to make them more gender neutral. I have seen many people, including men, wearing their little Ugg boots around campus, and I love them. 

They are fit for every person and are practical and warm. What else could you need from a pair of boots?

Athleisure

Athleisure is a style trend that arguably has never died since it rose in the early 2000’s, and I am here for it. Not only is it thrilling that comfortable outfits are considered cute and trendy, but many companies have elevated their products. 

Companies such as Lululemon, Alo, Set Active and more have transformed their brands to fit the comfy-chique look that is so popular. Matching sets have also become more popular, and are the perfect easy fit as they eliminate the need to even match items together to create outfits. 

I am addicted to each and every one of these style trends, and hope that they remain just as popular this year in 2023.

Junior at Penn State University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Business, and Entrepreneurship.