My Favorite Places To Eat in Downtown State College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

State College is full of many dining options for you to enjoy. I am a big foodie and enjoyed getting to know many places downtown. Here is the countdown of my favorite spaces to eat at downtown State College.

Tokyo Sushi & Hibachi

The first restaurant I ever ate at in downtown State College was Tokyo Sushi & Hibachi. This is by far one of my absolute favorite Japanese restaurants. It is located at 428 E College Ave. The sushi is phenomenal and honestly, the prices are not bad either. When I am on a budget and want to eat sushi, I usually end up here. Takeout is quick and the staff is super friendly every time I come in.

Mr. Wish

While Mr. Wish has not been around long, it has certainly made its mark in downtown State College. It is located at 320 E College Ave. Not only does Mr. Wish serve boba tea, but Hibachi Express is also located inside. If you are looking for boba and a snack, this is the place to go.

There is also a market towards the back. They recently released an Oolong Tea ice cream and I am absolutely obsessed. Oolong milk tea is not as common at other boba shops as I expected and Mr. Wish is always the best.

If you are not into milk teas, they have an amazing babo selection. Babo almost tastes like fruity soda. The peach and mango babo is my favorite drink to get during a hot day downtown. They offer smoothies as well if you want to try something a little healthier. However, the milk teas also have adjustment options to lower the sugar level if you wish to be a little healthier.

Tadashi

It is simply one of the best. Tadashi is located at 100 S Atherton St. The menu is large and the dishes are delicious. While I do not often end up at Tadashi, I am never disappointed. Tadashi has remained popular at State College, and it is no surprise why. Its convenient location downtown makes it a hot spot for people wanting lunch. I highly recommend the Spicy Crab Roll as it is one of my all-time favorites.

Little Szechuan

Looking for a deal? Try out Little Szechuan. It is located at 228 W College Ave. As someone who is an absolute soup lover, I have become obsessed with this place. Their soup portion is very large, especially compared to other places downtown. You do not have to worry about being rationed at Little Szechuan.

If you are not a soup fan, there are many other unique dishes as well. The prices are way more affordable as well. Soup lover or not, be sure to stop by.

Bagel Crust

My ultimate guilty pleasure is Bagel Crust. Bagel Crust has a prime location downtown at 332 E Calder Way. Not only does the line fly by, but the bagel options are amazing. They have your traditional Everything and Garlic bagel, as to be expected. But there are also Rainbow and Egg bagel options.

I am trying to make my way through the entire bagel menu, and I encourage you to join me. Your classic bagel sandwich will be here, along with some special sandwich options as well. Not feeling adventurous? Do not fret, there are some traditional spread sandwiches as well.

Juanas

My best find by far was Juanas. It is in a difficult location to find, located at 129 E Fraser St., and sometimes Google Maps can lead you off by a little.

This Venezuelan cuisine restaurant is phenomenal. The first time I went, I was not that hungry but tried the Tequeños. Their fried breaded cheese sticks were ridiculously tasty. The Arepas and Empanadas were as flavorful as I expected. The dining area is a little small, but the inside of the restaurant is adorable. If you are looking for somewhere new to try, this should for sure be your pick.

Snap Custom Pizza

There is no shortage of pizza places downtown. However, my top pick for pizza has to be Snap Custom Pizza. It is located at 132 W College Ave.

Try out their buffalo chicken pizza because I swear it is the best ever. Now I am no food expert, but the veggies taste fresh and delicious. Snap Custom Pizza is not covered in grease like many pizza shops. It is simply appetizing.

Kaarma

If you are looking for Indian Cuisine, Kaarma may be right up your alley. It is located at 120 E Beaver Ave. When I tell you every time I walk past Kaarma I am tempted to run inside. It does not help that the White Loop bus stops right in front of it.

My favorite dish is the Murg Jalfrezi with garlic naan bread. The portions are decent and the food is so good. It is extremely filling as well. On Saturdays, there is a buffet option if you want to try out several different dishes. I cannot overstate how amazing Kaarma is.

Sowers Harvest Café

This cafe gives off the best energy. They are known for their tasty pretzels and impeccable food. It is located at 421 E Beaver Ave. They also host cultural nights. They have more available parking nearby than most restaurants downtown. They support local farms in season and have many vegetarian options as well. You can not go wrong with any of their omelets or one of their famous Sowers Muffins. I have enjoyed everything I have tried off their menu.

Oeuf Boeuf et Bacon

While the line can sometimes get crazy, Oeuf Boeuf et Bacon is well worth the wait. The restaurant is a French Diner located at 131 S Garner St. The homey vibe and delicious food make this place one of my top choices. One of my favorite dishes to order is the eggs benedict. I have not known about Oeuf Boueg Et Bacon for long, but I will definitely keep coming back.

Downtown State College offers a variety of diverse and tasty eating options. Many restaurant owners are overjoyed to be a part of the Penn State community and are eager to have you try their food. Try out some of my favorite places and maybe you will find one of these is a new favorite of yours too!

I am a 3rd-year undergraduate student pursuing a Bachelor of Science in economics at Penn State. I am very excited to be a part of Her Campus!