This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Books are awesome. They can help you escape from reality and at the same time, are  entertaining. 

Growing up, I was a big book kid. I would spend my free time sinking my teeth into Harry Potter, Twilight, Percy Jackson and other novels. Sometimes I’d even binge read a book in a day. Now, that’s not really the case. 

One of my goals for 2021 is to read more books. But, in order to read books you have to have books. So, in my search for books, I’ve found some great places to get books for a great price. 

As a side note, all the places I’m listing are mostly for used books because they’re often cheaper and still in great condition. It is also a more sustainable option.

Local Library

Your local library is a great place to get books and you don’t even have to pay for them if you have a membership. 

If you’re trying to save space, library books are a good fit because you just return them when you’re done reading them. So if you read a book and you don’t really like it, you don’t have to feel bad for wasting your money on it. 

Thrift Stores

People are always donating books, myself included. When I visit my local Goodwill, there’s always a huge wall of books. 

The only thing I’d say is that at a thrift store, you don’t really know what’s there. If you’re looking for a specific book, you might not be able to find it. 

Book Outlet.com

I discovered this website a few years ago and I love it. Basically, this place accepts overstock and used books and then people can buy them. 

I’ve bought here on multiple occasions and I’m always surprised how new the books look even though I only paid between $3-$9 per book. Book Outlet also has lots of contemporary and newer books, especially YA.

Better World Books

I’ve bought from this place a few times and I’m always impressed. Better World Books sells used as well as new books but the used ones have the best price. 

I’ve gotten books for $4 on their website and they usually have a coupon code or sale going on. They also offer free shipping in the U.S. so I don’t have to pay an arm and a leg to get books to me. 

I think the best part about this business is that for every book you buy, they donate one to a person in need. It feels good to shop here because I know my purchase gives back to the less fortunate people.

So you see, there are lots of great places you can get books and save a pretty penny. Happy reading! 

Hannah Nelson is a senior at Penn State University, double majoring in Print/Digital Journalism and History. She enjoys Marvel movies, anything Harry Potter, books, quoting Vines and watching Tik Toks. In her free time, she is probably watching Try Guys videos on YouTube. She is passionate about mental health, women's rights and the Black Lives Matter movement.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.