This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If it isn’t crazy enough to think we are living through a historic disease such as COVID-19, I couldn’t believe it when I was recently diagnosed with it.

To make sense of it all, I documented my experience with symptoms, isolation and mental health throughout this time. Hopefully this helps anyone else who is also diagnosed with COVID-19.

Day One: Getting my diagnosis 

I woke up to a text from my best friend that he was COVID-19 positive. I was scared, as I hung out with him all weekend. I also had a cough, but I wasn’t thinking much of it until he told me his diagnosis. 

I went and scheduled a test, and while I was waiting for my results, I received a phone call. The call explained that I was going to be “assumed positive” and I would need to isolate myself in my off-campus apartment. However, out of respect for my roommate, I chose to isolate myself on campus. 

As I was packing my stuff, I received the results that confirmed I was positive. At first I was very scared, but the fact that I could isolate and worry only about myself was reassuring. I had to carry my things to the isolation dorms and settle in. 

Penn State housing and all the services had been extremely helpful, and I was keeping up my strength and hope. 

Day Two: First Full Day in Isolation 

On my first full day of isolation, I started to feel my symptoms head-on. I was very tired all day and felt weak. This was scary because I still was getting over the initial shock of having COVID-19 in the first place. I was also sore since I had to carry my things from my off-campus apartment to Eastview Terrace the previous day. 

The food at this point had been good, and Penn State was overall very helpful. 

Day Three: The Beginning of the Weekend 

Today was more difficult because it had been my first weekend not going out in State College. I experienced a ton of FOMO (fear of missing out), but I also had a lot of time to reflect. Because of my more risky behavior, I developed COVID-19 and put myself and others at risk. It was good for me not to go out and focus on myself that night. 

white ceramic mug on white table beside black eyeglasses
Unsplash

Additionally, my symptoms had progressed. I still had a sore throat and stuffy nose, but I had regained a lot of my strength. 

Day Four: Loss of motivation 

On Saturdays, I am not used to having nothing to do. I just wanted to curl up and watch a movie, but it was extremely difficult getting comfortable in the dorm bed. I would suggest bringing some more pillows and blankets to get comfortable. I only brought an extra sheet and pillow, but they do provide a blanket. 

Additionally, I struggled to find motivation and did not want to do schoolwork. I spent this day calling my family who had been checking in, and it was so nice to feel supported.

My symptoms just continued with a sore throat and a stuffy nose. 

Day Five: Sunday Scaries 

On Sunday, I felt my worst so far. My day started out fairly normal, but then I started to feel really ill. I felt dizzy and confused, and was having trouble following a conversation. As I showered, I felt really weak and had to stop halfway through. Then, as I was lying in bed I felt even worse. 

I, however, realized that I had been forgetting to take my birth control for the past four days. I feel that this mostly contributed to my body feeling so off — with the combination of having COVID-19.

Day Six: Difficult Productivity

I was very happy to see Monday roll around. I think having school had been a great distraction to feeling ill. However, it was difficult to be productive. It was hard for me because I felt like I should have been focusing more on myself.

Zoom meeting with coffee
Photo by Chris Montgomery from Unsplash

I was also feeling guilty for my role in contributing to the spread of the virus. I know I did not get it purposefully, but I still do not know what negative effects I could have brought into the world when I unknowingly had it. 

Day Seven: Itching to Leave Isolation

Today was very difficult because I was just ready to get out of isolation. I was not very productive today and had little to no symptoms.

Day Eight: Becoming Bored

This day was the same as Tuesday. I was starting to become more depressed today because I had no energy to do schoolwork. Additionally, I had been fighting with friends about politics, which is difficult because I could tell we were both bored in isolation. I could not wait to get out of isolation, but going back to the real world was making me extremely anxious. 

Day Nine: It’s the Final Countdown!

The countdown is on. I was feeling a little weak today. I also had an earache, but I had a doctor’s appointment later today. However, it was scary to think that I may not feel 100% getting out of isolation. 

During my doctor’s appointment, I was diagnosed with an ear infection. The physician’s assistant said it was probably due to my congestion and not covid-related. I am happy to have some antibiotics, though.

My anxiety about getting out was very high. Isolation was honestly a nice vacation for me, so I was feeling very nervous about being around people. 

Day Ten: One more day

Tomorrow is the day I get out! I had been feeling almost back to normal, which is great. I had therapy today which was very helpful in combating my anxiety about leaving isolation. However, I was becoming nervous about the long term effects of COVID-19 on my body. It is scary how little is known about this virus. 

Person waiting by window, sad
Photo by Andrik Langfield from Unsplash

I was also scared to leave during such a crazy weekend at Penn State. With it being Halloween and the Ohio vs. Penn State game, everything was going to get so hazy. I wish people would really grasp that the virus is here in State College, but I also understand that people need to socialize. I just hope everyone does it safely

Day Eleven: Home at Last

I am home now! It felt so great to be home and feeling better. I feel lucky to be alive and to have had such a mild case of COVID-19. Just remember to be safe, wear a mask, wash your hands and understand your boundaries. 

Health Policy and Administration student at Pennsylvania State University.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.