This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Whether you’re planning to cuddle up on the couch with your Valentine this February or get wine drunk with your best galentines, everyone is in need of a must-watch movie list to get you feeling spicy, romantic, or just in your feelings. My complete movie guide will scratch whatever itch you have on Valentine’s Day, so be sure to look through and find which ones best match your vibe this year. 

Don’t forget: Even if you’re spending this holiday alone, you are still a bad b*tch! If you don’t have a Valentine, and all of your galentines are busy with their significant others, these movies can be great to enjoy on your own. Some of us might feel pressured to get super romantic on Valentine’s Day, but in reality, it’s just an ordinary day. Don’t let your romantic situation (or lack thereof) get in the way of indulging in a lighthearted holiday!

“Pretty Woman” 

This classic from the 1990’s paved the way for the modern day rom-com, and is the go-to movie for any kind of girls’ night. I would call this a laugh out loud, feel-good movie that I watch at least once a year; this is a galentine’s day favorite of mine, and works even better when paired with wine or your favorite cocktail! 

Picture this: you and your girls decide to order some pizza, bake some brownies, and make the best frozen margaritas Jose Cuervo has to offer while watching Julia Roberts utter the words “Big mistake. Huge.” That sounds like a successful holiday to me. 

“Fifty Shades of Grey”

Whether you’re with friends, a special someone, or even just yourself, this can be the perfect way to laugh at the lack of action you’re currently getting, or turn up the temperature a notch. Everyone has their preferred pick of the infamous trilogy, so turn on your favorite and get the night started! 

Cuddle up in bed with some candles burning if that’s something you’re into, or simply throw the movie on to enjoy the intricate plotline (that’s a thing, right?)

“Someone Great”

If this is your movie of choice on Valentine’s Day, get ready to cry — hard. This hyper realistic portrayal of heartbreak will bring you back to that exact feeling it took so long to get rid of, but thanks to Gina Rodriquez, it just hurts so good.

If you’re looking for a good, heart wrenching cry, but also an onscreen girl gang to laugh along with, this is the movie for you this holiday. Warning: don’t watch this if you’ve experienced a heartbreak within the past year. Trust me, from personal experience — you’re not ready.

“10 Things I Hate About You”

Let’s be honest, who wouldn’t want to stare at young Heath Ledger on Valentine’s Day? If you have some sexual tension you need to work through, or if you simply want to enjoy a classic rom-com, consider this the timeless gem for you. 

Out of all the movies on this list, this is one of the best feel good movies to watch on your own; throw on some comfy pajamas, make yourself a drink, and order some Chinese food. I don’t know about anyone else, but this is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies of the holiday!

“50 First Dates”

I had to include at least one Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore fan favorite, or it just wouldn’t be Valentine’s Day. 

Let’s be real, something about their dynamic makes me believe in love again. This is such a cute movie to watch with a significant other or just with the gal pals. If you’re unsure what to put on, just pick this one. 

Is the amnesia plotline a little overdone at this point? Maybe. Will I still watch this movie faithfully whenever I need a pick me up? Absolutely. However, if this one isn’t for you, try out any other Sandler and Barrymore rom-coms; there are a suspicious amount, and you might just convince yourself that their love story is more real than your own.

Whatever your night looks like this Feb. 14, you’ll never be alone as long as you have these comfort movies. Whether you go out for a romantic dinner with your boo or a fun night out with the girls, coming home and switching on a classic Valentine’s movie is a must. 

Don’t stress about having the perfect romantic holiday, because at the end of the day, you are your own forever Valentine. Make it special for yourself if not for anyone else, and don’t forget to add a little chocolate to your night!

Class of 2022
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.