My Chemical Romance: Should they get back together?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Everyone had their emo phase at some point in high school or middle school. I sure did and cried too much when they broke up in 2013. After rumors spread last year of them potentially getting back together, I freaked out.

Now, I’m starting to think they’re better off not ever getting back together…but it sure would be great if they did another Black Parade Tour.

I want them to get back together SO BAD, but it probably won’t happen. Rumors are rumors, and in the end, they finished on such a good note. If they get back together, their legendary last tour will get ruined. 

I am a huge Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco fan and I love them to death and still listen to their music, but it has changed so much in 15 years now. ‘I Write Sins Not Tragedies’ and Thnks fr th Mmrs will always be classic jams that will bring everyone’s emo out, but those type of songs won’t get released anymore. And My Chemical Romance is more emo, and sadly, if The Black Parade was released now, it wouldn’t be as popular, and wouldn’t fit in today’s music culture. 

If I went to a Panic! At The Disco concert now, I honestly imagine seeing a bunch of high school girls screaming High Hopes, and it’s not the same. I saw Fall Out Boy three times in high school, and every year they played less and less of their old music, and more of their new songs that are pop. 

I mean come on, Fall Out Boy just released a song with Lil Peep, and Brendan Urie released a song with Taylor Swift. That made me angry. 

There was a rumor over the summer that MCR was going to collaborate with the Jonas Brothers, and I honestly think it shouldn’t happen. Joe Jonas isn’t going to go emo, MCR wouldn’t go pop.   

Emo is sadly over. MCR did a great job of bringing out the emo culture in the early 2000’s, and I still listen to their songs, pretty much every day. I think ending their tours with The Black Parade was perfect. Welcome to the Black Parade is an emo anthem, and if they got back together and released an album, it wouldn’t be what we’d expect. After so long since we’ve heard from them, it’s tough to get back in the music industry while genres are changing every year. 

When I started writing this thinking, I wanted MCR to get back together and release some awesome emo music that I can scream my head off to and sing along. But I started to realize that it just won’t happen. So, I am going to hope that they will come back and do an anniversary tour of The Black Parade, and I will be one of those fans that follow them across the country and cry when I see Gerard Way for the first time. 

In the end, if you’re one of those people that only knows Panic’s new album, go back to the 2000’s and listen to their old music. It’s worth it; I promise. 

And hey, maybe emo isn’t entirely gone. Fall Out Boy, Weezer, and Green Day are going on tour next year. Now, that is a throwback that I am certainly going to see. 

Let’s hope My Chemical Romance feels left out of that trio and decides to come back together for one last tour for me to see!

For all of the newbies to these bands, here are some songs that might get you in the emo feels:

Helena – My Chemical Romance

I Don’t Love You – My Chemical Romance

The Ballad of Mona Lisa – Panic! At The Disco

Lying Is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off – Panic! at the Disco

Saturday – Fall Out Boy

Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy – Fall Out Boy

Grace Catlett is a senior at Penn State University where she is pursuing a Public Relations major with a minor in Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Management. Since her freshman year, she has been very involved with her sorority, Delta Gamma. She was the director of social events for Delta Gamma and loves event planning! While she loves social media and public relations, her dream job is to become a wedding planner. She also loves fashion and is a TV show enthusiast.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.