My 7 Favorite Dorm Products for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Moving into college can be a major adjustment. I for one was frustrated by the teeny tiny mini-fridges meant to store both my roommate and I’s food. Luckily we live in a time period full of tons of unique products. As soon as I started looking up college products my algorithm became consumed with dorm products.

Here are my seven favorite dorm products for college students.

Electric pot

I stumbled across this product while scrolling through Instagram and immediately sent it to my friends. I owned an electric kettle, but an electric pot was a game changer. Sick of microwaved soup? The electric pot can be used to make soup along with pasta and more.

These pots are convenient as much as they are a time saver. Normally, I would wait around for my pot to boil, but it almost instantaneously reached the temperature I needed it to be.

Ottoman Cube

The hype of the ottoman cube is well deserved. If you’re having trouble reaching shelves or even your bed, the ottoman cube can be used as a stool. This product can be hidden away under your bed or pushed into a corner. It does not hog up a bunch of space like a storage chest would. You can store some items in the ottoman for easy access without them being out in the open.

Bed Risers

The moment my freshmen year roommates pulled out bed risers will be a moment I will never forget. Suddenly the storage space in my room doubled. I once feared where I would keep everything, but once I put them under my bed, I pushed all my totes under there. If your bed at college is not high up I suggest using these to maximize storage space.

Command Hooks

Command Hooks allow students to decorate their dorms without causing damage to the walls. My favorite use of command hooks is to hang my bag and lanyards up on my door. It keeps me from losing my keys or getting my bag knocked over. They are easy to use and a must-buy.

Bedside Shelf

I wish I knew to buy a bedside shelf when I was a freshman in college. If you are limited in space, these bedside shelves can be a lifesaver. They grip onto the side of your bed’s edges and you can adjust them as high or low as you desire. If you have overnight retainers or just want a place to set your phone, this bedside shelf can be a great purchase.

Lockbox

While buying a lockbox can seem a little extreme, it is better to be safe than sorry. Plenty of students leave their dorm rooms unlocked. Whether your roommate left their key and needs the dorm to stay unlocked for a few hours or you simply forget, a lockbox is a useful purchase. Students can store their passport, social security and other personal documents in this box. Most items are replaceable, but set yourself up for success!

Brita

An absolute must-have before moving into the dorms is a water Brita. Look out for your health and well-being and make sure to grab a Brita before moving in. It filters your water from contaminants and neutralizes the taste. Save yourself the stress and worry less about your water and more about studying!

Although these are a few of my favorite dorm products, there are many more out there. Try out a product that works for you and make your days at college just a little bit easier!

I am a 3rd-year undergraduate student pursuing a Bachelor of Science in economics at Penn State. I am very excited to be a part of Her Campus!