Movin’ On Overall, Bryn Gelaro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Since 1974, Penn State students have arranged a Spring Music Festival that is totally free and headlined by top-of-the-charts performers.  Movin’ On is one of the largest student-run music festivals in the country and it is all led by the one and only, Bryn Gelaro. Gelaro is a senior majoring in psychology. She began volunteering as a Movin’ On team member as a freshman and has moved up in the organization ever since.
Movin’ On has had line-ups including Fall Out Boy, Gym Class Heroes, The Spill Canvas, Jimmy Eat World, Pete Yorn, Lupe Fiasco, O.A.R and many more.  Gelaro said she is thrilled about this year’s festival that will be held April 27. She even shared with us who will be performing this year, so don’t miss out.

http://www.movinon.org/lineup.shtml

HC: What made you want to get involved with Movin’ On?
Gelaro: I initially became involved in Movin’ On my freshman year as a volunteer as a way to meet new people and get involved—the promise of a free t-shirt didn’t hurt.  I helped build the stage and load in band equipment, which was actually a lot more fun than it sounds. I was in absolutely awe of the work the students put into the festival and the work that goes into planning a large-scale musical event. 

HC: How much work and preparation goes into the spring festival?
Gelaro: It takes an insane amount of work in order to organize, plan, and execute the majority of which is done solely by students. That encompasses everything from creating promotional fliers and getting sponsorships to ordering catering and building the stage. What the students actually get to see the day of the show accounts for maybe a third of what we actually do.

HC: How is it free for students?
Gelaro: It is free for students because we are funded by UPAC. We also seek other company sponsorship and are given allocations from our collaborating groups (GSA, ARHS, UPUA, and SPA).

HC: How did you reach your status as Overall Director?
Gelaro: I climbed the ranks of the organization through my four-year involvement, first as a volunteer, then a volunteer chair, then assistant director, and finally overall director. I think what set me apart from my fellow committee members was my dedication to the organization and my approachable leadership style.  

HC: What clubs/ extracurricular activities are you involved in?
Gelaro: In addition to Movin’ On, I also am involved with the Straight Talks program which is run through the LGBTA student resource center.

HC: Who is performing at this years show?
Gelaro: This year’s performers are The Avett Brothers—who are headlining—Ludacris, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Young The Giant, and The David Mayfield Parade.