Movies Coming Out This Year That You Might Have Missed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Life is busy, and with the writers’ and actors’ strikes happening over the summer, there are probably a lot of movies you didn’t know were coming out. As I was researching for this story, there were a lot of movies that I didn’t even know were in production — let alone releasing — this year!

For this list, I compiled mostly wide-release (and some limited-release) movies that you may have missed.

“Priscilla”: November 3

This A24 production is an Elvis movie that centers around Priscilla Presley (née Beaulieu) and her relationship with Elvis. The movie is based on the real-life memoir of their complicated relationship by Priscilla Presley named “Elvis and Me.”

“Priscilla” stars Cailee Spaeny as Priscilla and Jacob Elordi as Elvis. This drama movie has a wide-release on November 3, so you can catch it in almost any theater then.

“The Marvels”: November 3

This is one movie that I have heard barely anything about, which is surprising considering it is a Marvel movie.

“The Marvels” is a sequel to “Captain Marvel,” which follows Carol Danvers (AKA Captain Marvel). The premise of the movie is that Captain Marvel begins working with a new team after their powers cause them to switch places.

“The Marvels” is a wide-release coming to theaters on November 3 and stars Brie Larson.

“The Hunger Games: Ballad of SongBirds and Snakes”: November 17

This is one film that I am extremely excited about. “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is a prequel to the original “Hunger Games” franchise, and follows young Coriolanus Snow (known as President Snow in the main trilogy) and how he rose to power.

This movie also talks about the 10th Hunger Games, which was much different than the ones we know.

The movie stars Tom Blyth as President Snow and Rachel Zegler as Lucy Gray Baird. “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” comes to theaters on November 17.

“Next Goal wins”: November 17

This is another movie I knew absolutely nothing about, despite being directed by Taika Waititi (director of “Thor: Ragnarok” and “Jojo Rabit”). “Next Goal Wins” is a comedy sports movie about a soccer coach trying to turn an awful team into an elite group of players.

November 17 is the set date for the movie’s theatrical release, so it may be only in exclusive theaters.

“Silent Night”: December 1

There is something so ridiculous — yet addicting — about action thrillers that take place on Christmas. “Silent Night” is a movie about a man who is avenging his son’s death on Christmas Eve.

Interestingly, there is apparently no spoken dialogue in the movie.

If you’re searching for an absurd, “John Wick”-esque film, “Silent Night” releases December 1 as a theatrical/limited release.

“Wonka”: December 15

It was pretty hard to miss the announcement of this movie, considering the countless discussions about Hugh Grant as an oompa loompa and Timothee Chalamet’s borderline ridiculous line delivery.

“Wonka” is a prequel to “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,” and follows a young Willy Wonka who is just beginning to make chocolate.

“Wonka” has a wide-release on December 15.

“Anyone But You”: December 22

I am patiently counting down the days until I can watch Glen Powell and Sydney Sweeny go from enemies to lovers. “Anyone But You” is a rom-com about two enemies pretending to date on their vacation in Australia.

This Sony production has a wide-release date of December 22.

“Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom”: December 20

Yet another superhero movie that I didn’t even know existed is releasing at the end of this year. “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom,” is a sequel to the first “Aquaman” movie and stars Jason Mamoa. This movie is about Arthur Curry (Aquaman) trying to save his home, Atlantis, from Black Manta.

You can watch “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” in theaters on December 20.

“The color purple”: December 25

“The Color Purple” is a recreation of the classic film of the same name. The film is described as a “musical coming-of-age period drama” about the struggles of living in the south in the early 1900s as an African-American woman.

It has an incredible cast, including Halle Bailey as Nettie Harris.

The film is coming to theaters on December 25 as a wide-release.

“Ferrari”: December 25

The final movie you may have missed is “Ferrari” starring Adam Driver and Penélople Cruz. This film is about Enzo Ferrari, who enters his car into the 1957 Mille Miglia at a tumultuous time in his career and personal life.

“Ferrari” has a theatrical release on December 25.

Hopefully this list ensures you don’t miss any films you want to see—happy watching!

Cayla is a third-year student at Penn State University studying Advertising and English. In the future, she hopes to be a fiction novel editor at a publishing company. This is Cayla's first year with Her Campus, but she hopes to write about all things entertainment! She previously worked for Penn State's Daily Collegian as a Performing Arts reporter and Lifestyle reporter. When she isn't writing, Cayla is an avid reader, TV watcher, and movie-goer. She also loves hanging out with her friends and playing board games together.