This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The writers’ and actors’ strikes are officially over, which means a bunch of new movies you may not have known about are being promoted. Although many movies have been delayed until 2025 or canceled altogether, many exciting films are dropping next year.

Here are some of my most anticipated movies releasing in 2024.

“Mean girls”

Words can not perfectly articulate how much I want to see this movie. “Mean Girls” is the musical version of the classic we all know and love with the same name.

In short, “Mean Girls,” is about a naïve new student named Cady who is sucked into the world of bullies and cliques.

Many people from the original have been cast, as well as a stacked cast of newbies including Reneé Rapp (Regina George), Chris Briney (Aaron Samuels) and Angourie Rice (Cady Heron).

“Mean Girls” is being widely released in theaters on Jan. 12.

“Inside Out 2”

I can’t say I am the biggest fan of the first “Inside Out,” but I do love the concept and think the new trailer looks incredibly fun.

“Inside Out” is about a preteen, Riley, and the emotions that live in her head. As Riley experiences life and a new school, the emotions go on a journey throughout Riley’s brain to try and make her happy again.

“Inside Out 2” hasn’t shown us the exact plot of the movie, but it does introduce new emotions into Riley’s brain like anxiety, ennui (boredom), embarrassment and envy. This movie is set to release on June 14.

“Deadpool 3”

There isn’t much information out on “Deadpool 3” just yet, but Ryan Reynolds did announce that Hugh Jackman would be reprising his role as Wolverine in the movie.

The general plot of this film — which is being kept under wraps by the studio — is that Wolverine and Deadpool cross paths. Because Wolverine died in the 2017 film “Logan,” I can only assume that it take place before these events or that time travel is involved.

“Deadpool 3” is set to release on May 3.

“The Garfield Movie”

As someone who grew up watching the strange, live-action version of “Garfield,” this movie is one of my most anticipated films of 2024.

This animated Garfield film follows the beloved cat and Odie as they are reunited with Garfield’s dad. Garfield and Odie have to abandon their lavish lifestyle with John to help Garfield’s dad pull off a heist.

“Garfield” is anticipated to release on May 24.

untitled “Venom” movie

Although we do not know a lot about this movie, I have been hearing speculation that Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man could make an appearance. Andrew Garfield is easily my favorite Spider-Man, so I am incredibly excited to see this film.

There is very little information about the plot right now, but we know the film is a sequel to “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” with a lot of the same cast members.

The initial release is set for Nov. 8, but it could be pushed forward or back based on other releases.

“Despicable Me 4”

Another animated feature I am highly anticipating next year is “Despicable Me 4.” The entire franchise centers around Gru, a self-proclaimed supervillain, and his three adopted daughters — Agnes, Edith, and Margo.

Although the studio has yet to talk about the plot of the film, we do know that it will have all the same characters (as well as the minions) and probably center around some type of supervillain that the family must defeat.

“Despicable Me 4” is predicted to release on July 4.

“A Quiet Place: Day One”

This movie is a prequel to the previous two movies of the same name. “A Quiet Place” is a horror/suspense about super-hearing monsters that attack at any small sound.

“A Quiet Place: Day One” centers around the very first day that the monsters came to be.

This movie is set to release on June 28.

“The Fall Guy”

I am extremely excited to see this movie because it stars both Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling.

“The Fall Guy” is a comedy/action film about a stuntman who is thrust into a high-stakes investigation when his ex goes missing.

This movie is predicted to drop sometime in March, but I could not find any official release date statements.

“My ex-friend’s wedding”

This movie is a comedy about four former best friends who receive a voicemail from their other friend on the eve of her wedding, confessing that she doesn’t want to get married. The movie follows the four former friends as they try to stop the wedding.

This movie sounds hilarious and heartwarming. It is also written by Taylor Jenkins Reid, who wrote the famous novel “Daisy Jones & The Six.”

This movie is expected to release on May 24.

Untitled Jordan Peele film

There isn’t a lot of information on this movie right now, but Jordan Peele movies are always compelling and have me on the edge of my seat.

If you don’t know, Jordan Peele is the director of many psychological horror movies like “Get Out,” “Nope” and “Us.”

One thing I can tell you is that this movie is supposed to be released on Dec. 25 so we still have a lot of waiting to do.

TBD: “Spider-Man: Beyond the Spiderverse”

I placed “Spider-Man: Beyond The Spiderverse” at the end of this list because it may be pushed back to 2025. Sony has not spoken about when the movie will be released, so it is possible it could be 2024.

This will be the third installment in Sony’s “Spider-Man” series, which follows Miles Morales’ journey after becoming Spider-Man. The second film, “Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse,” left on an intense cliffhanger (which I will not spoil for you), so fans are highly anticipating the next film.

Putting this on the 2024 list may be wishful thinking, but I want to delve back into the Spiderverse as soon as possible.

Hopefully this list has inspired you to check out some of these upcoming releases. Many, many other films did not make this list (some being “Dune Part Two,” “Challengers” and “Kung Fu Panda 4”).

If you want to check out other films in 2024, IMDb makes an exhaustive list.

Happy watching!

Cayla is a third-year student at Penn State University studying Advertising and English. In the future, she hopes to be a fiction novel editor at a publishing company. This is Cayla's first year with Her Campus, but she hopes to write about all things entertainment! She previously worked for Penn State's Daily Collegian as a Performing Arts reporter and Lifestyle reporter. When she isn't writing, Cayla is an avid reader, TV watcher, and movie-goer. She also loves hanging out with her friends and playing board games together.