This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This past Thursday, I found myself sitting in an advanced-level calculus class trying to comprehend a lecture on Clairaut’s theroum and Jacobin functions. Anyone who knows me can tell you that math is not my strong suit, so what could I possibly have been doing there? Witnessing the skills of John Urschel. Currently a graduate student studying mathematics education, Urschel teaches one of the toughest math classes offered at Penn State. As if that weren’t enough, the 22-year-old also finds time for another huge commitment- playing as an offensive lineman for the Nittany Lions. Read on to learn more about the guy who many people regard as the BIG10’s most impressive student athlete. 

Name: John Urschel

Course of Study: Mathematics

Year: Graduate Student

Hometown: Buffalo, NY

HC: You were just chosen as Fox News’s Best Person in Sports. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…) How did you find out you received this honor?

JU: It’s funny; I just got a lot of text messages from teammates and friends about it. And I didn’t really believe them. Me? The best person in sports? I don’t know about that. At least for that week; I no longer have the title.

HC: You’re so humble! So how did you become a teacher at Penn State? It sounds like a lot of responsibility.

JU: Last year I was working on my first master’s degree in math. Grad students in the math department typically either TA or teach. I just asked around, and while I could not teach as a grad student because I hadn’t completed my graduate student teaching training seminar, they decided to hire me as a paid position. Now, six months later, I am in my second semester and I am teaching the toughest class allowed to be taught by someone without a PhD.

HC: You’ve managed to achieve both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree within four years- now you’re in the process of getting your second masters in mathematics education. How does life as a graduate student differ from life as an undergrad?

JU: I would say the main difference is that there is a lot less busy work, and a lot more things you have to do on your own outside of class. With more freedom comes more responsibility. However, I really enjoy being a grad student.

HC: What has been your favorite class at PSU, unrelated to math?

JU: I would have to say I really enjoyed my English 15 course. It was the first class I ever took at Penn State, and I had an amazing grad student teaching it.

HC: Who has been the person that’s inspired you most during your time at Penn State?

JU: I would have to say coach Bill O’Brien. Getting to spend time with coach every day and see how hard he works and how dedicated he is to be the best at what he does motivates me to try my hardest both in football and math and never give anything less than by best.

HC: What has been your proudest moment on the field as a Nittany Lion thus far?

JU: I would to have to say our win this year over Michigan. It was great to be able to share such a fantastic experience with my fellow seniors. There are a lot of guys on this team that I’ve grown with. Fellow seniors such as Ty Howle and Glenn Carson are some of my best friends. Our senior class has been through a lot together, and it was great to get that team win.

HC: Fun fact time: What’s the most distant place you’ve ever traveled?

JU: I have been to London, England and Edinburgh, Scotland before. I spent a few weeks in the summer after 7th grade with my father, and we went backpacking overseas together.

HC: That’s pretty awesome. I know you’re originally from Canada. What’s one thing you can get over there that you can’t get here?

JU:  I can’t think of a specific item, but I know the legal drinking age is different. It was funny; when I was 19, I visited my younger cousin in Calgary. She actually took me out for my first legal drink.

HC: If you had a theme song what would it be?

JU: Satellite by Rise Against 

HC: Tell us where we’ll see John Urschel in 10 years.

JU: Hopefully, I’ll still be playing football. But things never work out like you plan. Once I’m out of football I plan to go back to school, get my PhD in mathematics, and be a researcher.

Thanks, John!

Junior at Penn State University studying Public Relations, Spanish and International Studies. Proud writer for HerCampus PSU. Anxiously anticipating studying abroad this spring semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina! Boston-bound following graduation in May 2014.
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.