Culture > News

Matthew Perry’s Impact on the World and Future Generations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Millions of people around the world were shocked when news broke of actor Matthew Perry’s death on Oct. 28.

Perry, 54, was known best for his role as Chandler Bing on the iconic sitcom “Friends,” as well as films such as 17 Again.

His 2022 memoir, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing” was also a hit, and opened up the eyes of readers who learned about his battle with addiction, his childhood and everything that came with being one of the most famous actors in TV history.

The LA Times and TMZ were the first publications who reported the showing news that the actor was found unresponsive in a hot tub in his Los Angeles home.

Officials of the scene later confirmed that Perry was found unresponsive, and not much later was confirmed deceased.

Friends” is one of the most, if not the most, well-known sitcom in TV history.

The show, which was filmed from 1994 to 2004, gained one of the largest audience followings in history and is still an incredibly successful show that is available on various streaming platforms.

The sitcom received 50+ Emmy nominations throughout its run, with Perry being nominated four times.

The role of Chandler Bing came incredibly naturally to Perry. In his memoir, he said, “It wasn’t that I thought I could play Chandler. I was Chandler.” This powerful statement is something that not many actors can truly say about the characters they’ve played.

Perry was able to play the role so effortlessly because the humor and personality included in the scenes solely came from Perry himself.

Fans on social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter and TikTok posted about how Perry impacted their childhoods, and that his work on “Friends” helped them through challenging times.

People also shared their favorite Chandler Bing scenes as a way of paying tribute to the late actor.

Actors who were co-stars or friends of Perry have paid tribute to him on social media platforms as well.

Maggie Wheeler, who famously played Janice in several episodes of “Friends,” shared a post on her Instagram with some kind words about their scenes together throughout several seasons.

Instagram Post From Maggie Wheeler

Perry also received love from Friends co-creators, Marta Kauffman and David Crane, as well as joint statements from his “Friends” co-stars Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, David Schwimmer, Matt LeBlanc and Lisa Kudrow.

The famous “Friends” apartment, which is located in Greenwich Village in NYC, has been the go-to location for fans to pay tribute to Perry. Countless flowers, cards and other “Friends”-related items have been laid outside the building.

Instagram Post From People Magazine

People from various generations have counted and will continue to count on Chandler Bing to bring a smile to their faces.

Even with Matthew Perry being gone, his success and endearing personality will continue to live on forever. Friends is the kind of show that will be passed down for generations to come, and Perry will always be valued for his incredible work.

Matthew Perry’s significant influence brought truth to the line, “I’ll be there for you.”

Allie is a PSU student studying Public Relations & minoring in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Management. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, traveling, reading, and painting!