The Locust Lane Farmers’ Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Every Tuesday and Friday in the fall, from 11:30 to 5:30, Locust Lane is closed between College Avenue and Foster Avenue, transforming the blocks into a mecca of aromatic flowers, fresh grown fruits and vegetables and delicious desserts. For the penny-pinching college kid, it is a wonderful place to be…1/4 pound of apples for $4, small flower arrangements (including the vase!) for just $5.50. What could be better? In the colder months the hot apple cider and fresh baked zucchini breads become popular, as well as the fall vegetables like squash and pumpkins.

The gentleman pictured above is from Sweet Root Orchard, located on the side of Tussey Mountain. His crisp and yummy apples are a personal favorite of mine. I hope all of you can take advantage of this wonderful market that State College has to offer. Before you know it, it will be snowing, so get out there while you still can!

What’s your favorite thing to buy at the Farmers’ Market? Tell us in the comments!

Jen Kach is the most enthusiastic English major you'll ever meet at Penn State. Not a drop of British blood runs in her veins, but with her passion for literature and creative writing, she may as well have been born in the country of Shakespeare and Charles Dickens! Once she graduates from Happy Valley, she hopes to take the publishing world by storm, working either in book publishing or the magazine industry. At the top of her list, though, are novels...her ultimate dream is to write several of them! At Penn State, she is the managing editor for Valley magazine, a writing center tutor, and a member of Ed2010. An ardent believer in La Vie Boheme, she is in love with love, art, coffee shops, music, and classic films. She loves the little things in life, will never forget seeing the Goo Goo Dolls live in concert, and firmly believes that, when all else is said and done, there is no problem that Jane Austen can't fix.