This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Graduating high school was a mix of excitement and fear.

The thought of leaving behind everything I’d ever known, the place and the people that had been my entire world, made me very anxious. Making new friends in college felt like an impossible task. How could anyone match the bonds I’d built with my hometown friends?

Then there were worries about falling sick without my mom’s presence or finding a place that gave me the same comfort as my childhood bedroom.

Leaving behind what I’d always called home seemed impossible.

After my first semester at college, I craved the company of my hometown friends. Despite making new friendships at school, the connection with my old friends felt irreplaceable.

When we finally came home for winter break I decided to host a Christmas party. I figured it would be like a step back into the familiarity of high school. But when everyone came over, something felt off. We were thrilled to see each other, but there was an unspoken shift.

As we shared stories of our new lives, an underlying feeling of distance lingered. It was a subtle change, but it was there. School didn’t feel like home, and home didn’t quite feel the same anymore either. It was an unsettling realization.

Returning to college, I threw myself into school activities and embraced new friendships. By the end of my freshman year, I felt sad about having to go back home for the summer. The sad feelings weren’t for leaving school but for parting from the newfound comfort and connections I had made.

The summer back home was different.

My friends were often off visiting their college friends, just as I was getting closer to my new friends. It wasn’t about anger or resentment, but a newfound understanding – ‘People come and go.’ My hometown friends were still important, but our priorities had shifted.

As summer ended, I couldn’t wait to start my sophomore year. I was eager to reunite with my college friends. Being home felt odd; it was like trying to fit into a life that no longer suited me.

High school’s comfort had vanished, and no amount of nostalgia could bring it back. Reconnecting with my college friends reminded me of the importance of living in the present.

Now, during Thanksgiving break, I notice a growing disconnect each time I return home. It’s not sadness; it’s an awareness.

Nostalgia is natural, but life moves forward like a train journey. People hop on and off; making room for new passengers is part of the ride.

My hometown will always hold a special place, but I’ve learned that ‘home’ can be found in new people and places too.

But, there’s this song from Kindergarten that stuck with me: ‘Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver, the other is gold.’ It’s about embracing change while valuing those who’ve been part of the journey.

Welcoming new experiences is crucial, but remembering those who’ve had your back along the way is just as important.

Jaden is a second-year at Penn State who is majoring in Advertising and minoring in Digital Media Trends and Analytics.