A Letter To My Best Friend At Another B1G School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Dear bestie,

I remember when you told me that you were going to University of Michigan. I was a little upset at first that you were going to a different university. But I accepted it because it was the best choice for you, and I was proud of you. You were going to a good school that had a great program for the major that you wanted to study. I remember Skyping you when you had first settled into your dorm (and I had already moved into mine a couple weeks before). We were in completely different places and not yet accustomed to the new environment. What’s worse was that you were going through this on your own. I was lucky. I had our other best friend here with me, and we were roommates. Despite the challenges, I’m glad to see that you found your place there.

I’m proud of you despite the fact you didn’t apply to Penn State even though I badgered you about it. I know you were applying to places that would benefit you, and I can’t fault you for that. It just sucks that we’re only going to be able to see each other maybe once a year and twice if we’re lucky.

I still love you despite the fact you are a Wolverine and I’m a Nittany Lion. I even still love you after your suggestions that I should transfer schools and that our schools aren’t friends. I didn’t realize that your school was part of the Big Ten until we played against you in football and saw your school’s name pop up again in the hockey season. I can’t say I can ever like your school after your brutal taunts at us during our hockey team’s away game at Yost Ice Arena (which I watched with constant pain in my chest the entire time they made fun of Penn State). But, I watched them play Minnesota in the final round of the Big Ten Hockey Tournament, and I supported them for you even though I know you’re not a sports fan. I did that for you. I know you don’t exactly follow the sport, but it’s the thought that counts, right? 

I’m not mad at you despite the fact that you omitted to tell me for three months that you were dating somebody. We were all so angry you kept that from us, you have no idea. We’re supposed to tell each other these things, girl. How could you? It’s cool, though. I’m just glad I got to meet him and that you’re happy with him. He’s good in my book.

I’ll always be here for you despite the fact we didn’t really communicate much for a whole semester because we were both busy getting adjusted to this new life, and you were busy every time I tried to talk to you. I’m not holding a grudge or anything – I completely understand that you have things to do and people to see. I just hope we can continue to stay in touch and talk to each other more often.

No matter how much I love you, though, I cannot emphasize enough that you’re technically the enemy. I am so proud of you for loving your school. Even though I visited your campus once and begrudgingly admitted how beautiful it was, I couldn’t succumb to the dark side. I am and always will be a proud Nittany Lion and you, a Wolverine.

Miss you loads,

Your cat bestie at Penn State 

Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team. 
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.