Last Minute Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again when we sip pumpkin lattes, pull sweaters from storage and admire a campus covered in red and orange leaves.  But, the end of October also marks one of fall semester’s biggest weekends:  Halloween.  Remember when Halloween was simple?  Your parents would plan your costume, map your neighborhood trick-or-treat route and provide that pumpkin bucket to fill with goodies.  The biggest decision you had to make was whether to trade your Reese’s for a box of Nerds.  Then somewhere along the line Halloween became a weekend-long event involving multiple costumes and party invites.  Collegiette Halloween dress code leaves you tackling the issues of solo versus group numbers, and if there is such a thing as a tacky costume.  Late in the semester funds are running low and schedules are full, making it hard to part with the cash for elaborate outfits, or find the time to battle the line at the Halloween store.  So if you’re struggling to decide what to wear this weekend, here are some fun and simple costume ideas.

Your Favorite Beverage:
Champagne or a six-pack of beer

Why not be your favorite drink to sip?  A tan dress, some glitter and a container of bubbles is all you need to dress as Cristal.  If you are more of a beer girl, round up five friends and sport the logo of your favorite brew.  Make six-pack rings and arrive together in proper formation.    

Gold Digger, trophy wife or any of the Housewives of Beverly Hills
Who doesn’t dream of the glamorous lifestyle of the ladies of Beverly Hills?  Dress in your classiest attire and live like a Housewife for a night.  Or for a literal interpretation of a gold digger, add a little construction apparel.  Wear your best LBD along with gold, gaudy jewelry and carry a plastic shovel.

Current Events:
Occupy Wall Street or Kate and Pippa Middleton

Get creative with what’s going on in the news.  Both serious events and celebrations can be great inspiration for Halloween costumes.  A sign and a mega-phone can make your own protest, or Kate’s elegant style can create a classy Halloween look.   

YouTube’s Greatest Hits: Jenna Marbles, Sophia Grace and Rebecca Black
Shophia Grace made it on Ellen with her cover of “Super Bass,” and her next stop is downtown State College.  Grab a pink dress, a tiara and a fake microphone to recreate Sophia and her cousin’s performance.  Jenna Marbles offered some quality advice to college girls in “How to Avoid Talking to People you Don’t Want to Talk To.”  But to be this hit for the night, you are going to need to perfect the face and commit whenever you walk through the door.  A cute, tiny dog wouldn’t hurt either.    

Childhood Classics:
Teams from Legends of the Hidden Temple or Cher and Dionne from Clueless

Go back to the ‘90s and bring back some of our generation’s favorite things, including everything Nickelodeon.  Or break out a vest, mini-skirt and your old cell phone to channel the girls of Clueless.  As if there was a better decade.

No matter what costume you chose to wear this weekend, have fun with it.  With a little creativity, you’ll be surprised what clever attire you can come up with.

Happy Halloween!