Lady Lions Leading Scorer: Maggie Lucas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There are many reasons why Maggie Lucas is this week’s campus celebrity, for example she is a passionate student, athlete and leader. Last year was her freshman year as well as her first season playing for the Lady Lions. She has won the 2011 Big Ten Sixth Player of the Year Award, 2011 Big Ten All-Freshman Team and the Big Ten freshman of the week award eight times. She is the Lady Lions leading scorer, averaging 16.6 points per game. Oh and did we mention, Maggie is a three-point shooting phenom? She broke the Big Ten single-season pointers record, shooting 112 from beyond the arc. Check out her trick shot video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImLXIiihnMQ&noredirect=1. We caught up with Maggie this weekend and asked her a few questions.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?
Maggie: In my free time I like to go to the gym and just mess around have fun with my teammates. The whole team hangs out all the time off the court, but I also just like to chill a lot. Rest is so important to me in my free time.

HC: What has been your favorite class at PSU?
Maggie: At Penn State, my favorite class has been theatre 100. We didn’t actually act but we were able to watch actors and it was just a very entertaining class everyday.

HC: What is a favorite memory that you can think of?
Maggie: My favorite memory that I can think of is just being with my whole family when I’m home in the summer. We go to the beach together and to the basketball courts with my dad. Sometimes my mom even rebounds, really all my favorite memories include my family.

HC:
What’s it like to be ranked No. 12 in the country?
Maggie: When it comes to the ranking, I think it is nice to be given that respect, but at this point it really means nothing because nobody in the whole country has a win yet or have played a game yet. I’m more concerned with where we finish than what ranking we have at the beginning of the year.

HC: You were nominated for some preseason awards, what does that feel like?
Maggie: The preseason awards were flattering but again I’m just more concerned about the future rather than what we’ve gotten based on the passed, because those awards are based off of last year and I’m more concerned with this year.

HC: Do you ever get recognized on campus?
Maggie: I actually do get recognized on campus pretty often, we have some great fans and they show unbelievable support. I’m not going to lie, it feels pretty good. Fans probably don’t even realize but it makes my day when they come up and talk to me and show some love.

HC: What do you do if someone comes up to you and says that they’re a fan?
Maggie: When I talk to a fan I let them know that I really appreciate their support, and we try to give back to them by working hard every time we step in the gym.