Four Diamonds Hand
Four Diamonds Hand
Morgan Weindel
Life > Experiences

Joining a THON First Year Committee: Was it Worth it (Yes!) 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Since I am freshman this year at Penn State, it was officially my first THON. It was an incredible experience, and I can’t wait to do it three more times over the course of my education here. I have some experience with mini-THON back in my high school and I was overjoyed to continue participating in this wonderful event at college. 

I decided to apply to be on the THON First Year Committee because I wanted to become fully immersed in this fantastic experience. When I got the position, I was overjoyed. 

I was placed on the Special Events team under the leadership of my wonderful captains, Paige and Kat. They taught us everything we needed to know about THON — from the fundraising to the families.  

THON is very complex behind the scenes, especially regarding shift times. Without them, I would have been totally lost, so I am forever grateful to them. They made my first THON one to remember.  

THON is an indescribable experience, it is best if you just experience it yourself, but I will try to put you in my shoes as a committee member. The first shift we did was human tunnel.  

Human tunnel is when all of the captains and committees line up to form a tunnel into the Bryce Jordan Center before THON starts. The dancers walk through the tunnel and into the BJC with us cheering them on. It was a freezing cold day, but the excitement all around me made me feel warm with the 46-hour weekend ahead of me. 

My next shift was inside the BJC during THON and it consisted of a concessions shift. I served quite a lot of coffee, but the energy inside the BJC always kept me excited. The fact that everyone was coming together to raise money for pediatric cancer was so inspiring and energizing at the same time.  

My other shifts were patrolling shifts. I patrolled around the upper bowl where the organizations were standing in support. I made sure no one was sitting down in order to abide by the rules of THON. 

At the end of my shifts, I had stood a total of 20 hours (including the time I had spent standing with my sorority as a new member). Although my feet hurt, I would go back and do it all over again.  

THON has such a beautiful mission and this year we raised a record of $15,006,132.46 for kids battling pediatric cancer. First year committee was such a wonderful experience. I made lifelong friends in my committee — there’s just something about patrolling the aisles of dancing and singing students at 4 a.m. that hits different. 

Next year I can’t wait to do it all over again. I want to get more involved in family relations because seeing all of the Four Diamonds Families we are helping puts the biggest smile on my face. 

If you are debating whether or not to get involved in a THON First Year Committee as a freshman, let this be the push you need to say yes. There is nothing more powerful than hundreds of students coming together to unite against pediatric cancer. One day, we will dance in celebration, but until then we will dance for a cure.

We are for the kids forever and always.  

Veronica Figg is a Sophomore at Penn State University with a major in Criminology and a minor in English. She is a student in the Schreyer Honors College. She has been writing since she was young. When she isn't in class you can find her in the library curled up with a good book or working on her second novel.