This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Making decisions about buying a winter coat is a significant decision. It is a fashion statement, but also meant to keep you warm on the coldest days. 

You have to decide what color you want — neutral colors? Or a fun pop of color? The process is long — reading reviews and trying to find something that checks all the boxes for the climate and the look. It’s exhausting.

Look no more. This list consists of some of the top rated winter coats for various weather and styles.

Big Puff Cropped Jacket

This jacket from GAP comes in many different bright colors to spice up your wardrobe. It is water resistant, has a detachable hood and comes with knit cuffs with thumbholes. It runs true to size and is rated at the warmest setting for jackets. 

Promising Review:

“Susanna C

Verified Buyer

Warm, soft, and comfy! The collar means you don’t necessarily need to bring a scarf, which is perfect for windy winter days. Roomy inside fits nicely over clothes. Hood zips off — the portion of the zipper on the neck of the coat is concealed, retaining the nice look while galloping for more functionality and flexibility.”

Hooded Puffer Jacket

This H&M puffer is extra cropped and comes with a neutral color scheme. The jacket is lightweight and perfect for layering with a sweater or sweatshirt. It features a drawstring hood and front pockets. 

Promising Review:

“Bought: White in Size M

It is perfect exactly how I envisioned and how they describe true to size looks exactly how the picture shows”

Short Puffer Jacket

From Old Navy, this jacket has a shiny finish that gives it a pleather look. This one does not feature a hood but allows you to elevate any outfit with this cute puffer.  

Promising Review:

“Great Jacket

5 days ago 

Kristin S

Great fit! You can sinch the bottom and it makes the fit less boxy and cropped more. It is oversized enough to fit sweaters underneath comfortably. The puffer is silky and soft and even though it seems thin, it is incredibly warm! It is 20 degrees here in PA and it is wonderful! There is an inside pocket for your phone (or whatever), but the outside pockets are too small for my phone. My only wish would be that the pockets would be fleece lined.”

Miss Selfridge Check Houndstooth Wrap Coat

This coat from ASOS features a fun pattern while still leaning toward the neutral side. It can show more of your personality while maintaining a neutral look. 

Promising Review:

​​”Verified Purchaser

ELEVATED

This fits the bill of what I was looking for in a wrap coat, not too heavy & in a light neutral color. Love it”

Iconic Entrance Beige Double Breasted Coat

Lulus made a coat that allows for a more dressy look. It comes in a neutral beige, but there is also a hot pink option to make more of a fashion statement.

Promising Review:

“Get the coat

This was a splurge but I’m so glad I got it. I have a lot of black or “safe” clothes and this is the perfect piece to combat that. It looks exactly like the photo and has very nice material. I’m usually small or medium, but XS fits perfectly. — Katherine S.5′ 6″ tall, 117lbs, 32C”

Women’s Glacier Peak Seamless Stretch Down Parka

This Eddie Bauer coat features maximum thermal efficiency. It sheds moisture and has stretch to allow maximum comfort and movement during the winter. 

Promising Review:

“Yes, I recommend this product

AJC

Gender: Female

Height: 5’6″

Type: Plus

Activity: Walking

Pros: Comfort, Fit

Cons

Hands down the best winter coat!

Nov 17, 2022

Hands down the best winter coat I’ve owned. Warm. Lightweight. Comfortable. This got me through all the way down into the low -30C with no issue. The built-in stretch allows you to actually move in this coat, making it versatile for many outdoor activities.”

Women’s Mountain Classic Down Parka

From LL Bean, this parka is packed with heat-trapping, water-repelling 650-fill DownTek down for exceptional hood-to-hem warmth. It has both a zipper and button closure and a hood that helps trap the heat. 

Promising Review:

“Verified Purchase

5/5 Stars

Aredee

Great buy

Size Range: Regular

Very warm and comfortable. The coat feels substantial without feeling bulky.”

Women’s Artic Parka

The North Face has made perfect jacket for freezing weather. It is a wind-resistant, waterproof goose-down that has a vent in the back so that it is breathable. 

Promising Review:

“Jennifer  

SCORE! A parka for outside girls

Up north in Michigan is a winter wonderland as long as you’re warm! This parka rocks! Wind, wet snow, bone-chilling wind chills have already blown through and I’m warm- not sweaty!”

Puffer jackets are comfy and casual — the perfect jacket to wear over a sweat set or leggings.

Parkas are perfect for snow and ice, they are more equipped for extreme weather than a puffer. Freezing temperatures and wind stand no chance against these jackets

For a more formal option, longer, trench-like coats can dress up any outfit. These coats are built to last and can be worn to work or can be worn with sweats to elevate your look. You can choose a fun pattern, color or stick with a neutral tone to match all outfits.

No matter what type of jacket you are looking for, there are many options.

Cropped puffer jackets are perfect for a relaxed casual fit. Parkas are necessary for those cold and windy days or light outdoor activities throughout the winter. Trench coats are perfect for a professional environment while still keeping warm.

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.